Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

True cost of flying IFR in France (or EU) (annual revalidation, equipment check)

The other day I had a long discussion with my instructor about IFR flying in France (among other things like CPL opportunities outside airlines, etc.) and I was quite surprised to not be able to confirm what he was saying. Basically he said that the cost of flying IFR, in addition to additional equipment (IFR aircraft with more equipment, twin, FIKI etc.) was prohibitive in France due to the need to revalidate every year and re-check equipment regularly.

What I’ve found so far is :

• there is no currency requirement in EASA rules (apart from the yearly revalidation flight). Not that this is a good thing, it’s really important to practice IFR very often anyway to maintain proficiency
  • the revalidation flight can be done freelance so it’s not a big constraint (although it has to be done in a window of 90 days). Infos come from this thread
  • the equipment verification is required only for radios (including transponders I guess) and has to be done every 2 years: it does not seem like a big additional hassle compared to the existing annuals / maintenance stuff, altough a test has to be done in flight. How much does this typically cost ?

So my question is: is it actually that bad ? (again, apart from the additional cost of flying IFR in itself) Are there any specific regulations in France that would add a lot of cost / administrative hurldes ? Are there many people flying non-commercial IFR on single or twin pistons ?

France

Points 1 and 2 correct.

Point 3 I don’t know about re EASA equipment test requirements. In FAA world there is just the 2-yearly transponder and altimeter test.

On the whole his comments don’t make sense. However there will be edge cases ( (C) Steve Jobs ) where you are getting ripped off. For example if you can’t find a freelance FE then you have to go via an FTO and they are likely to fleece you with “training as required”. Also while an avionics test is basically going around with an IFR4000 or some such, nothing prevents the company from fleecing you on that also.

By far the biggest cost of an IR is your time spent doing it, and that hasn’t changed much in the 22 years I’ve been flying.

Are there many people flying non-commercial IFR on single or twin pistons ?

The private IR community in Europe is small, due to the historically poor accessibility of the IR, and this will remain so, because political factors in Europe work to keep the IR hard to get. The UK numbers for example (some threads here on decline of GA, etc) are of the order of a few dozen new IRs a year, and the UK is one of the two biggest GA “touring” communities (Germany is the other). So the private IR community is maybe 1-2% of the VFR PPL community in terms of new pilots annually. But this is not the same thing as how many remain; with an IR you have a vastly bigger incentive to hang on, whereas ~90% of new PPLs chuck it in almost immediately. Someone will point out that 99% remain in their country. So if you hang around your airfield in say UK or Germany, you may find 10% of the “regular furniture” have an IR. Nearly all of them will be owners.

FIKI is a US term, mapping onto US wx services, with no legal meaning in Europe as regards whether a particular departure is legal. The ice protection equipment does make a plane more expensive to buy and to run. But I flew 2002-2018 IFR with no ice protection, so this is a separate debate.

Private pilots tend to use the IR to get access to CAS (controlled airspace) which while legal for VFR (below Class A) is often prohibited due to unpublished “private” ATC policies. Basically under VFR, ATC works against you, while under IFR they work for you France e.g. has a VFR ban above FL115 in the NE quarter, roughly. Few people fly in actual IMC enroute. See e.g. here.

France is perhaps different from the rest of Europe in that nearly all GA there (and there is a lot, with about 2x more pilots than say the UK) is a low-level short-hops weekend aeroclub scene, so little or no need for an IR, and thus most will regard an IR as pointless, especially as most of the small number of privately owned planes are types like Robins which have little or no IFR capability (legally or not). I have this from many pilots there, although if this is posted by a non French person, trouble usually follows

France also has a different “IR history” in that they had a national IR for many years which enabled one to have an IR usable in France only, with no ELP requirement (which was important). This was obviously a good option for those who never fly outside France but it could explain why someone in France might think the IR is of little use. And France has good joined-up ATC which makes VFR flying easier than just about anywhere in Europe (in good wx).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m not in France, but I fly IFR in France regularly. The requirements are all EASA, so it shouldn’t matter which EASA country you’re in.

Additional costs for IFR flying are:

- ATS charges, which are generally nominal in relation to the other flight costs
- Keeping databases up to date for a few hundred euros per year
- A ForeFlight subscription (SkyDemon just doesn’t do it for IFR) for 120 per year
- Yearly revalidation, which for me amounts to approx. 1 hr flight with a freelance examiner

This adds up to about an additional 1k or so per year.

Of course you also need an aircraft equipped with at least (in addition to basic VFR instrumentation):

- One 8,33 radio (and at least a backup for 121,5 if needed)
- An IFR GPS (WAAS is best) and CDI with lat/vert indication
- An FM immune NAV radio with GS receiver
- A DME if you plan to fly any ILS approaches

And you need to keep said aircraft in good working order.

EHRD, Netherlands

ATS charges are only over 2000kg, and any plane has to be kept in a good working order

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And the comment re: SD vs ForeFlight is debatable as well – I know of quite a few pilots that use SD and not FF.

I think it would be best to split the costs between the Aircraft cost & Pilot cost – that would fit more scenarios, because if put all in one basket, it would only work for a pilot-owner (the only owner of the aircraft).
Aircraft cost – 500EUR+ for the DB updates and some extra items for the annual
Pilot costs – 50EUR+SW (if any)+a/c hourly cost for the annual reval. Maybe an audiogram costs as well for the Class 2 medical?

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Point 3 I don’t know about re EASA equipment test requirements. In FAA world there is just the 2-yearly transponder and altimeter test.

EASA (in part-ML) additionally requires an ASI test. The requirements are: Operational check of the transponder and functional check of the pitot-static system. There is no difference between VFR and IFR in this respect. In particular there is no requirement to check radios.

(Operational check means that you check that “it works”. Functional check means that you test against specs.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Where do you fly? does the instructor hold an IR or IRI? and does he own and operate IFR aircraft (F-reg, EASA or FAA)?

So my question is: is it actually that bad ? (again, apart from the additional cost of flying IFR in itself) Are there any specific regulations in France that would add a lot of cost / administrative hurldes ?

The initial cost to get IR rating or getting IFR machine is expensive

Running costs are cheap, less than 1k/year from subscriptions for databases, ipads and pitot-static test every 2 years (I do mine in Belgium)

Keeping IFR currency is cheap: 1/ low initial IR fee to DGAC examiners, revalidations with freelance IRE is usually less than 1h of flight in your aircraft or sim, 2/ you can practice approches for free, 3/ if you need DGAC papers (licence or airworthiness) the fees are dirt cheap but service is slow

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies !

Peter wrote:

political factors in Europe work to keep the IR hard to get

Do you have an idea what those might be in particular ? Regulations, or just lack of motivation to develop etc.

Peter wrote:

FIKI is a US term

Yes I meant TKS ^^

Overall the additional cost seems minimal (not counting initial training).

I also have the same interrogation for commercial operations but I think I’ll dig around first or start another thread.

France

Ibra wrote:

Where do you fly? does the instructor hold an IR or IRI? and does he own and operate IFR aircraft (F-reg, EASA or FAA)?

He does not fly IFR privately (but he’s an active airline pilot so he obviously does it as part of his job and is IR qualified). I think he’s had mixed experiences at previous flying clubs who were trying to convert and maintain a current IFR aircraft, which is not worth the hassle given how many people get and stay IR. Maybe things were more complicated back then.

Otherwise my club is in LFPT, and I’m still in PPL training.

France

There are few IR owners who fly F-reg (or N-reg) from LFPT, it’s a nice airport with good setup for IFR

I am sure it’s worth getting in touch, most will offer a free ride and chat

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message