Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Turbo Commander

Adam,

In the TBM thread I noticed a few interesting things about the TC. Is the cabin differential really 5.2psi? So it makes cruise at the ceiling essentially impossible without oxygen. Max cruise also listed at 12000ft. Is that correct?

Are you RVSM authorised? Can it be?

EGTK Oxford

Jason, they can all be RSVMed, but it doesn’t make that much sense for the 5.2psi models, as you noted. In reality, the 1000 model is the only one that can do FL350. You could get a 980 up there, but you’d be on oxygen.

The 840 (690C) has a 5.2psi differential and is certified to FL340.
The 900 (690D) has a 6.7psi differential and is certified to FL320.
The 980 (695) has a 5.2psi differential and is certified to FL370.
The 1000 (695A) has a 6.7psi differential and is certified to FL350.

The 900 and 1000 also have longer wing and perform better up high.

My old one has a 4.2psi cabin, so it’s only certified to FL250. But it runs out of poop at around FL220-230, so not really a high flyer. It’s a high teens plane.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 14 Nov 01:38

Speaking of TC, I hinted at this in a previous discussion, but never asked the question directly: Where do I get a type rating (for an EASA licence)?

Adam,

are you actually flying it yet?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

No, Mooney. But finally getting close. I should have it before Xmas.

You can get type ratings at Simcom, FlightSafety and many other US training facilities – but don’t know if they’re recognized by EASA?

SIMCOM offers it without detail but I have never seen them provide EASA courses. FlightSafety offers EASA TRs but they don’t have one (EASA or FAA) for Commanders (I think they used to, but dropped it). As for recognition, there is a provision for issuing ratings based on a rating issued by a third country (or meeting requirements of a third country) with restriction to that registry. And there is a provision for removing this restriction (500 hours on type plus a check ride, IIRC). Which means you have to find appropriate TRE which then (probably) has to be recognized by the country that issued your EASA licence. Should be doable as there are a few EASA registered Commanders. Those 500 hours would be more difficult (well, time consuming). At a brief look, it looks doable, but one would have to deal with the TSA (at least I think, I don’t remember precisely what training is exempt) and the machine would have to be N-reg. Maybe I missed something. PS: Perhaps we’ll get a better option in the future.

Last Edited by Martin at 14 Nov 17:46

OO-GOA and OO-ROB are two 690’s that operate out of Belgium. Think it’s a survey or mapping company. Maybe drop them a line and find out who does the TR in Europe? In any case, so silly they need it to begin with. All that should be needed is insurance approved type training.

I mean, how would you even do with an oddball type where there are no facilities that can train you? Like my 680V. It’s not a 690 – has different systems, different engines, different wing. How would you get a TR for something like that?

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 14 Nov 19:00

AdamFrisch wrote:

All that should be needed is insurance approved type training.

And you believe insurance companies will have the skills and interest to develop a suitable training program for an aircraft of which 5 are still in use?

They don’t have to develop anything, just approve it from a training provider.

You can’t approve something without a proper understanding. Given the low number of aircraft, there is no real incentive to develop such an understanding. Improper training not only costs money, it also costs lives. I don’t think that the free market would be a solution in this area.

112 Posts
Sign in to add your message