Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA AME Issues post MARS/CELLMA Intergration

I changed AME rather stupidly. This has opened a can of worms so big, that I now have to pay out a lot of money.

A couple of things without going into much detail yet; AME wants original medicals before issuing.

CAA chases previous AME for medical reports. CAA submits and migrates information from previous medical systems, believes that this should suffice and AME can issue me my Class 2, even the Duty MA recommending this.

Anyway, AME changed the goalposts this morning. Demanding the CAA do a few things to me, even though I am a high-hour pilot and very safe. (AME’s words – although I am sure legally he cannot say I am unsafe) – with his bee in the bonnet with the CAA (Nothing personal towards me he says and that I am unfortunately being had over) – he makes it worse by CC’ing in the Chief Medical Officer of the CAA along with various other subjects to make his point clear – even recommending that maybe I should be grounded till this takes place.

AME also personally emailed me and stated that I will now have to pay him more for him to issue me a Class 2 – Because it’s a complex case. Get ****ed!

They all have a meeting and unfortunately make it very clear that, I must now follow this AME’s recommendations and that I have to
a) Fly with a CFI on a Medical Flight Test (The IR Revalidation with a CAA TRE holds no weight apparently, despite the MFT being extremely basic)
b) Pay hundreds to see an Orphalmogical consultant.

However, the CAA has made it very clear in bold that I continue to exercise the privileges of my license whilst this is ongoing. They have not given me an expiry date, but I have little or no choice at a great expense to follow this through. Caching ££££.

I was phoned by someone very senior at the CAA, and because this case is now technically deferred, once I’ve got the correct paperwork in order, they should be able to re-issue my Class 2. One big huge caveat – the AME has NOT uploaded my Physical paperwork, which HE should do. The CAA will apparently asked him too, because then they will be able to resolve this themselves from what I’ve been told. Where do I stand legally in this regard? Can this AME refuse to give the CAA my medical information? They’ve suggested that the AMC may have it, and they can get it that way.

The question is, this very much appears to be an AME with an axe grinder for the CAA and is using me as a prime example of its MARS to CELLMA integration and some failures. Not only has he thrown two very respectable AMEs under the bus, but has just landed me a big feck off bill of money and stress to get my medical revalidated and he has hanged me out to dry in the process.

1) The AME is just sending emails now, and would not be doing any casework. So am I correct in stating I would not need to pay him, especially if this is now under CAA control? I have paid him fully for my Medical, ECG and Audio.
2) If the CAA does issue me a Class 2, on the basis that they have the rest of the paperwork? Can this AME chase me for money? Or is he throwing me under the bus and the CAA deeming it a referral/deferred enough evidence for any action he would take against me for non-agreed additional costs that he is likely to impose on me? Thus in the eyes of what (A small claims court – no case to answer?)

Should I also take this further with the CAA, DfT? Parliamentary Ombudsman once resolved?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

Should I also take this further with the CAA, DfT? Parliamentary Ombudsman once resolved?

I think you should post the name of the AME here, so others don’t make the same mistake.

EGTR

This sort of thing is why practically nobody changes their AME until the AME is retired or dead.

If the old AME did not retire or die, the new AME will be suspicious of why you moved and will dig deep to find something.

It’s a stupid system because you may have moved just to avoid a 200 mile drive…

Also it is normal for “doctors” to want to establish a full file on a client so if e.g. 10 years ago you had a willy amputation (all the rage these days ) the new AME will want all the hospital / consultant notes from that procedure. Most people don’t keep anything (to be honest most people are not really engaged re their health; they are happy to see a GP and come back with some pills) and the AME has to contact various people who may be no longer around… The AME does not have to do this legally (because the previous AME’s authority should be trusted) but that is not how the world runs… exactly the same with maintenance really! So you must keep all records, for ever.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

I think you should post the name of the AME here, so others don’t make the same mistake.

I’ll wait till this boils over, because it is a small world. I had no issues with the AME per say, but I’ve been thrown under the bus with a lot of costs. This is purely a tick box exercise for me now, and the CAA have deemed me safe to continue flying till all these reports are gathered.

Question is, now this has been “Deferred” and the CAA will make a decision; surely that means the AME won’t have a “Right” to request me for casework fees as this is now gone to the Gatwick Medical team? I literally will go bankrupt if more is thrown my way, through no fault of my own.

Peter wrote:

This sort of thing is why practically nobody changes their AME until the AME is retired or dead.

If the old AME did not retire or die, the new AME will be suspicious of why you moved and will dig deep to find something.

It’s a stupid system because you may have moved just to avoid a 200 mile drive…

My former AME, Dr King – highly recommend him. He has helped me get the CAA to assist, so can’t praise him enough.

EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I had no issues with the AME per say

I’m sorry – what? Did I misread this, but he caused needless paperwork and needless cost to you? And he is so poor at following through that your previous AME had to intervene? You certainly have issues! Unless there is a legal requirement, going back ab initio into every aspect ot the medical history is not appropriate, this is an annual, not a pre-buy!

We certainly should know who we need to avoid when we want to change AMEs. As long as you stick to the facts, there is no come-back (unless you want to use him again, which – uhm – WHY?)

This just reinforced my view that if it comes to medical history, it is better to have poor memory than it is to have a poor history unless there are lasting effects.

Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Also it is normal for “doctors” to want to establish a full file on a client so if e.g. 10 years ago you had a willy amputation (all the rage these days ) the new AME will want all the hospital / consultant notes from that procedure.

AFAIK for EASA AMEs the full file is in the EASA computers so it will be available to any new AME. (Assuming you give your consent, for GDPR reasons.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’ve been recommended to complain to the CMO & CC Martin Robinson, I do have a AOPA number, but don’t have a membership. Presume would be okay to join?

£440 for a Class 2 with ECG + Audio.
£290 for the appointment with DfT/CAA Orphalmic Consultant + £200 if he demands a follow up
£55 for the CFI
£35 for a repeat eyetest (I did do this on my own back to double cover myself)
£60 for the ECG to be reviewed by the CAA’s cardiologist

& just been billed £185 by the AME for casework…… (Sending of a few emails to the CAA that threw me under the bus). Sadly I think It’s cheaper to pay this than dispute, and never ever use again or recommend.

EGSG, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message