Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK PPL to LAPL to PPL, and using the PMD (Self Declaration medical) outside the UK

Hi,

I have 2 questions to ask the membership – and would appreciate any assistance – location is UK.

I change my PPL (A) some years ago to a LAPL (A). Is it possible to change back to a PPL (A) with out any instruction – I am a regular flyer in my Non-Part 21 aircraft (RV14A) – Just thinking would my PPL (A) still be valid?

Is it possible to fly throughout Europe with a PPL (A) on a Self Declaration Medical?

Any comments would be most welcome.

Regards John

EGCV Sleap, United Kingdom

Sorry to comment without actually having an answer but if this was me with your question I’d email the designated authority in your country. You’ll get the most accurate answer that way rather than on a forum.

ELLX, Luxembourg

I change my PPL (A) some years ago to a LAPL (A). Is it possible to change back to a PPL (A) with out any instruction – I am a regular flyer in my Non-Part 21 aircraft (RV14A) – Just thinking would my PPL (A) still be valid?

Unless you had your PPL revoked, you could not have “changed PPL to LAPL”. Your PPL lasts for ever; only the SEP class rating expires. So the worst case is that you need a flight with an examiner.

Is it possible to fly throughout Europe with a PPL (A) on a Self Declaration Medical?

Only in an amateur built Annex 1 and only to France. See here. So in an RV you can, and you can use the PPL, NPPL or LAPL (does the UK LAPL actually still exist – it has no real value; see here where one guy got value from it but I can’t think of any other point).

You’ll get the most accurate answer that way rather than on a forum.

That’s not useful, since the CAA will either take weeks/months or you get a wrong reply from some muppet. The UK CAA has lost all good people from its customer interface 10-15 years ago. EuroGA exists to help pilots, mainly.

BTW I changed “Europe” to “outside the UK” since the UK is in Europe

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your response.

Popped into Shoreham last year 7th Sept on our way back from Annecy to Sleap – Great airport and Café.

Regards John

EGCV Sleap, United Kingdom

There is an even better food supply at Maddie’s caravan next to the main building – much better quality than the “dementia care home food” main restaurant

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Design4P

In what year did you get your PPL(A) issued?

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message