Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Safetycom 135.480

I used 135.480 on 2 June, in innocent ignorance, flying in the hills West of Inverness.
Today, I got a link from the Scottish Aero Club. CAA have introduced
130.490 trial from 1 June.
Two frequencies is not useful.
One of their examples is in the Inverness area.
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Safety-information/VHF-Low-Level-Common-Frequency-Trial/

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Is not the idea that “safetycom” is for use at airfields without a designated frequency – Like the US Unicom or French 123.5, and that the Low Level frequency is for those in no-LARs coverage areas for those flying low level (below 2000ft) where there is a risk from military traffic in the same area?

Regards, SD..

It was extended to that, but started for use in the Scottish hills. Below Scottish Information availability. I’ve heard military on it and exchanged useful information.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Is the frequency 135.480, or 135.475 mentioned here?

It is the same actual frequency… 135.475MHz.

135.490 would be an 8.33-only frequency however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It used to be 135.475 before 8.33. Under my notes sheet on my kneeboard my “Scotland Frequency Reference Card”, AIRAC 11/2020 (8 Oct 2020) has “Safetycom Frequency 135.480”.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

So 135.480 is no longer to be used as safetycom and the low level common frequency is to be used as a safetycom frequency on airfield without designated frequency as well? The leaflet doesn’t mention this.

SafetyCom (135.480) is to be used in the proximity of airfield without specific frequencies.
Low level frequency (130.490) is to be used when low level when not in communication with some other ATC/FIS.

The CAA provide a email address for feedback on the trial: [email protected] . One piece of feedback is that their communication is poor.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message