Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Unable to zoom inset map on G1000 PFD

What I would do:
- press red “backup mode” button to get PFD view on both screens
- turn off and on inset map
- check if I can change zoom level on left and right screen using “range” joystick

If the right one works and the left one doesn’t, problem is probably HW related. If none works then it’s SW related.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

USFlyer wrote:

If he has done the basics and it doesn’t work then stating the obvious is always appropriate.
If the problem was that the inset map couldn’t be zoomed, why did you think it necessary to explain how to display and hide it?

It won’t be a software glitch. Likely the joystick itself.

We know of your opinion that embedded software is infallable. Only no one agrees with you.

A suggestion such as Emir’s above is much more helpful.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Jan 08:11
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Emir wrote:

If the right one works and the left one doesn’t, problem is probably HW related. If none works then it’s SW related.

That is indeed what PetitCessnaVoyageur suggested as well and certainly the first thing I will do tomorrow. Thanks.

LFPT, LFPN

I set the displays in backup mode so the inset map display on not the PFD and MFD. On the PFD I could not zoom, but on the MFD I zoomed just fine.

Then I changed the map settings and configured autozoom doe the inset only. Now the inset zooms automatically to 15 minutes range.

Can I therefore conclude that the “joystick” does not work correctly on the PFD?

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

LFPT, LFPN

No, you can’t assume that although it is a reasonable possibility. There are some whacky bits within system setup that may have disabled the range joystick (mostly related to Auxiliary Video input).

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Aviathor wrote:

Can I therefore conclude that the “joystick” does not work correctly on the PFD?

Have you used this option before, did it work ok then? Did you change any settings.

For example, on some installlations (this is airframe dependent) you can not get the inset map, when the MFD is in north up mode, and would only allow this to work when both are heading up.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse wrote:

Have you used this option before, did it work ok then? Did you change any settings.

I have never managed to zoom the inset map on the PFD using the joystick as long as I have been flying this airplane. The inset now auto zooms to 15 minutes of flight. Both maps are heading up (I am not sure how they can be configured separately).

I’ll grab a pic of the relevant menus tomorrow…

LFPT, LFPN

Does “pan” (moving cursor) mode work on inset map on PFD?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Valid point. Though this doesn’t test the rotating action of the joystick. Your dealer has the ability to test all buttons and the joystick, including the rotating action and see if it responds, that you would be sure weather it would hardware or software issue.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Emir wrote:

Does “pan” (moving cursor) mode work on inset map on PFD?

Panning works.

Jesse wrote:

Your dealer has the ability to test all buttons and the joystick, including the rotating action and see if it responds

OK. So I guess that next step will be to have an avionics shop take a look at it.

Thanks for your replies.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message