Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Unlikely, but this seems as good a place as any to start

I’m a USA pilot, utterly spoiled by the state of General Aviation here, and at the very early stages of considering the “hop across the pond”, and spending some time in Europe. Surprisingly, I’m far less intimidated by the crossing than the flying around once I get there. I’m thinking that if the airframe and engine are in good condition, I get some appropriate training, and make sure my insurance is up-to-date, the mechanics of it should be straightforward.

But once I’m there scares me. Subtly different regulations, unpredictable user fees, language issues, charts and databases… it can seem a bit overwhelming when looked at all at once. Can anyone recommend some resources for getting started – I’m sure I’m not the first person to be in this situation, and I imagine there must be some books or other places to get started.

The airplane will be a Socata Trinidad – single engine, but probably with a better maintenance infrastructure in the EU than here in the US.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions – all are welcome.

Larry Rachman
E Falmouth, MA USA

PS – A pleasant "What are you, crazy??!! would also be an acceptable response.

5B6 (USA)

Hi Larry,
flying around here is – while not a piece of cake in some countries – pretty simple in many. In the UK, France and Germany you will have no language issues if you use the “english speaking” airports, and there’s many. In Germany it’s practically every airport with a 3000 ft runway.
Let Peter answer you in Detail about every aspect flying a TB20 here – but if you need a contact, information, places to sleep, car in souther Germany, let me know.

all the best
Alexis

Larry, it isn’t as bad as reading some of the posts would lead you to believe. It is clearly harder that the US however but none of it is insurmountable. Are you instrument rated? If so many of the problems go away.

Overall I love flying in Europe. It is the infrastructure that can be a little painful. Don’t let that deter you however it is still worth the hassle.

EGTK Oxford

Larry,

First of all let me say “welcome here, very much welcome”. You may well have chosen one of the best forums possible for your request, given the fact that there are pilots round here from most European countries, and several who have flown both in the US and here; I am sure it is those who will have the best answers for you.

You seem wise by wondering about potential issues before actually turning up here. Language might be an issue in some countries – Spain has a notoriously poor reputation – but generally you should have no trouble in the smaller countries, least of all if you remain in Northern or central Europe. Almost all R/T is done in English anyway, there. If you were from Texas or so, I would also recommend getting acquainted with English English – not all US’ans realise they are not the first owners of the language – but being from Massachusetts I reckon you’ll do well enough. It never hurts to watch some British soap operas, though.

Regarding the TB20, opinions about it are mixed here; that is to say I never read anything really negative about it, but some patrons are more positive than others*.

One place you should certainly include in your itinerary, at least on the inbound, is the a/d of Wick (EGPC), it is home to a company as close to an FBO as you will find in Europe, and well used to servicing Atlantic crossers. Yes, the concept of an FBO is little known over here, which might surprise you.

You are prepared for differences between USA and Europe, that is all to the good, but you’d perhaps be surprised to see the differences between one European country and another. This counts both when flying but also in “normal” life… Examples are abundant, but would perhaps be too epic to tell right now.

For more detailed recommendations, you would do well to describe your interest: do wish to see historical cities? Mountain landscapes? Sunny beaches? One good thing about Europe is that all of those are there, and you never need to fly far. To make up for that, we also have very variable weather, making meteo briefing a crucial exercise.

And yes, of course you are crazy, aren’t we all? Again: WELCOME!

*that is an inside joke, no worries

Last Edited by at 02 Feb 17:47
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hi Larry,

As a fellow TB-pilot being based near Munich (that’s the one in Germany) let me know if I can be of any help.

BTW, where abouts in Europe do you plan to move to?

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Welcome Larry

Peter – TB20GT

Europe is no problem for flying around. You just need to do more due diligence on the ground, and the amount depends on which bit of Europe.

but some patrons are more positive than others

Absolutely nooo idea who you are referring to

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Larry,

It would probably be helpful if you let us know if your flying will be IFR or VFR while in Europe. Then we can hopefully give you a brief introduction to what might be different. For example, for VFR one of the biggest differences is that there is no implied clearance for Class C&D airspace anywhere in Europe. You need a specific clearance. For IFR, getting your head around the flight planning system might be the biggest hurdle that you face.

Also if you had a base area planned, it would be useful to know.

Please also bear in mind that Europe is not the single place that US media might have you think. It’s a collection of many different countries, each having their own peculiarities and differences. Most of the time this doesn’t cause any issues, but it can mean that when asking for advice, it’s important to know which country the advice is relevant to.

Welcome to the forum.

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

First off, thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. Let me try to touch on at least most of what’s been mentioned.

At this point, the whole idea is a whim, but that’s how great plans get started. So I’m really not too sure of where I’ll be headed, staying, etc. UK and Germany are probably my primary interest, but my bride will veto the whole thing if it doesn’t include Italy (though that could be a train ride, if need be). Possibly a visit to Socata would in order, though France isn’t on my ‘A’ list. I’ll surely adjust the destinations (or at least the flying ones) to make the whole thing more manageable. And of course I’m interested in hearing about all the ‘must-visit’ places.

I am instrument-rated, but am planning to do my flying in VMC, with an IFR flight plan where appropriate. There are plenty of routes here where VFR winds up being better than IFR, though generally I file IFR if I’m going any distance, or especially any distance to someplace I haven’t been before.

I’ve got two neighbors who are both British and pilots, so perhaps they can give me languge lessons. And sometimes I have a hard time understanding the folks from Texas, too. I tend to talk too fast, which I would need to fix. In fact, when I did my IFR check ride, one of the examiner’s comments was “You sounds real crusty on the radio – they’re gonna think you know more than you do.”

Alexis, thanks very much for the invite. Hopefully I’ll be able to take you up on at least part of what you offered.

RXH, this is a visit, not a move. I’m thinking maybe a month from wheels up here at 5B6 to my return – unfortunately I still work for a living, and that’s probably the most time away I can manage.

dublinpilot, it sounds like if you’re VFR you treat class C and D the same way we treat class B – you need to hear "Cleared into the . The big question for me would be ‘how often is it refused?’

I understand that Europe is not just one place, which is part of what makes it intimidating. But pretty much everything new is.

I’ll take a look at farnorthaviation; it looks like that site has some useful information.

What I was hoping for is a book similar to the “Flying to the Bahamas” book I bought before making that trip – it didn’t answer all the questions, but it was a great reference and confidence builder. Is there a “Flying to Europe” book out there somewhere?

One other question, almost certainly guaranteed to stir debate: If you were about to fly several thousand miles over water, would you rather have an engine that was closing in on or slightly beyond TBO, or a nice new one. I’m thinking definitely the former, but there’s surely room for discussion.

Cheers,

-lr

5B6 (USA)

If you were about to fly several thousand miles over water, would you rather have an engine that was closing in on or slightly beyond TBO, or a nice new one.

Definitely the former assuming it is well maintained.

EGTK Oxford

No “Flying in Europe” book afaik – and I have the Bahamas one and agree it’be good to have the European equivalent. There is a neat one for France (in French…)

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message