Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading a Garmin GTX330 to 330-ES, and why does UK/European airspace want to know whether you have WAAS

Adsb is seen by all of the UK GA carry-on/Temp installed devices. Pilot aware and Sky echo.

They display uncertified emitters too so no need for an SBAS GPS to feed the TXP. But no azimuth info.

Don’t want to take this thread off topic to the usual stuff

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I thought doing that also to get my GTX 330 ESd. Decided to go for a GNX375. It’s the best value for money I think from Garmin. I am dumping the old mode S transponder with its previous century gray encoder. The GEA12 is a plug in on the back. I hope to be able to use the FIS B in conjunction with the ADL190. The WAAS & ADS-B is nice to have..when flying N reg it becomes implicit…the day you decide to sell it in the US.

EBST

They display uncertified emitters too so no need for an SBAS GPS to feed the TXP. But no azimuth info.
Don’t want to take this thread off topic to the usual stuff

Sorry, thats wrong. Skydemon is showing my Pilotaware feed which accurately and clearly displays the location of PAW, Skyecho and ADSB aircraft.
Only some the remaining are without azimuth, but that is sorted if in range of a ground station.

I didn’t think I was going off topic, as I exactly upgraded a 330 to 330ES with Waas connection.

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 13 Oct 21:48
United Kingdom

That’s a different thing; what you are doing is a bit like me watching Flightaware on a 4G-connected mobile phone while flying

Back to the original Q: there is the B field but who could be using it? I can’t think of any case. ATC disregards the equipment list in most cases

Where does UK/EU airspace require you specify SBAS?

Nowhere AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you for supplying some interesting alternatives. Hadn’t thought of the 335 and a big saving on the 345.

The GNX 375 would mean a third GPS or replacing the 430 with a COM. I realise WAAS EGNOS gives you LPV, but for SEP light IFR LNAV is ok for me.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message