Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

US FBO (Signature) Terminated Due to Overpricing

Timothy wrote:

I am not sure that we do. I have looked into this from a lobbying perspective, for AOPA and PPL/IR Europe, and I think that the conclusion that we have no such rights.

Airlines do, but not us.

What I know is that when Stockholm/Arlanda introduced mandatory handling, AOPA Sweden appealed this decision on the ground that there was a right to self-handling. The Swedish Transport Agency agreed with this and the airport was forced to permit self-handling.

OTOH the airport requires a self-handling agreement so it is does not help the casual visitor.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 29 Jan 10:05
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

OTOH the airport requires a self-handling agreement so it is does not help the casual visitor.

Of course it will. The casual visitor only needs fuel. If some entity at the airport has it’s own facilities, it usually also offer services to others also.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Of course it will. The casual visitor only needs fuel. If some entity at the airport has it’s own facilities, it usually also offer services to others also.

I don’t understand what you are saying.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This article and this follow up say that Signature (which is apparently a UK owned chain) is being kicked off Orange County (John Wayne) Airport in California as a result of the airport’s dissatisfaction with its high pricing in a monopoly situation at that airport. Signature appealed and FAA (which has authority) has now rejected the appeal. I wonder if the lesson learned might reflect back to Signature’s European operations.

I’ve flown in there just for the fun and experience on long flights but haven’t parked due to the cost involved.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Aug 20:06

Signature are often very expensive but sometimes perfectly normal in the US. This will be irrelevant in Europe as they are only at the big airports where they charge not much more than any other handler.

They are owned by BBA.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Signature are often very expensive but sometimes perfectly normal in the US.

And I bet that difference has to do with whether they hold a monopoly at the airport. If that is the case, I think they may be revisiting their pricing at the moment…

JasonC wrote:

This will be irrelevant in Europe as they are only at the big airports where they charge not much more than any other handler.

Any other handler at that particular airport?

I think ‘big’ airports in Europe and the UK (e.g. Southampton, also served by Signature) are often in actuality small airports when judged by their having monopoly FBO operations. As such I think they should expect to be reigned in, but the issue is whether they expect that to be done effectively. They apparently didn’t expect it at KSNA, maybe that has something to do with UK-based BBA management, but they were proved wrong.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Aug 20:50

Silvaire wrote:

Any other handler at that particular airport?

Yes. But at places like Bournmouth they are a monopoly and also very high.

EGTK Oxford

Signature also vary considerably in the service they offer. At Glasgow they are excellent, at Edinburgh, odure.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Signature also vary considerably in the service they offer. At Glasgow they are excellent, at Edinburgh, odure.

You are 100% right there.

EGTK Oxford

Here in the US, I’ve never had good experience with Signature. Atlantic is always the lesser of two evils, if there’s a choice. But if there is a local non-chain FBO, always bet on that. That’s where you’ll get the best service and price, normally.

Sign in to add your message