Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Using Colmar (LFGA) for over-night stops (flying into FR-only airports)

Quite a lot of fields have become “French only” in the past years.

I know of none which have “become” French-only.
There is generally a lot of misconception about this “french-only” thing around…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Calais is one…

EDHS, Germany

Clubs have special arrangements such as codes gates etc.

Bosco has much more experience in France than me. At the dozen airports I have visited, however, the code was always placarded somewehere airside or there was a notice like “use first 4 digits of tower frequency”.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

What about getting fuel outside of the regular operating hours? Colmar has Air BP and have their card. Will I usually be able to use it or will they lock the fuel station?

Forgive me all this funny questions but as you certainly have noticed I come from the land where airports get locked up for the night :-)

Frequent travels around Europe

blueline wrote:

xactly, they don’t have this foolish German and Austrian “Flugleiterpflicht”

Add The Netherlands to the list of countries

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Calais was only a very temporary thing, after they lost the TWR and before they had an English-approved AFISO on staff.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

italianjon wrote:

Calais is one…

only for some of the time, mainly weekends. They are busy training a second man for the tower to make it even less Fr

The gate code for Colmar if I remember correctly is the twr frequency

No way will you get into Bergerac LFBE after about 6pm. Not without climbing over the fence, but French police are armed so I wouldn’t do that.

When I was last there Nov 2014, it was dark and there was not even a rat in sight. I did eventually get out, using a one-way facility the aeroclub uses, which the fireman showed me. The airport didn’t close for air traffic for another few hours, IIRC.

I strongly suspect Poitiers and Cherbourg are the same, as are others I recall more vaguely. Basically: nobody at the aeroclub (or no aeroclub) and last Ryanair flight has left = no way to get in or out unless you can get the attention of a fireman.

ATC might know of a solution (phone the fireman, I guess) but if you cut it too close time-wise and they have packed up by the time you realise it…

I do carry 2 sleeping bags but not for this purpose

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Last I was in Troyes the gate code was C25421235 !!! At least that is what I have in my notes. I would call the airport operations (very nice people) during operating hours and ask.

The Novotel (in walking distance) seems very good. I have not slept there but I once flew in for dinner and the kitchen was excellent. If that says anything about the quality of the hotel…

Close/open flight plan by radio with Paris (?) on the ground. PCL does not require any prior arrangements.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message