Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Using CS-STAN to fit an Odyssey battery

My PA28 if very nose heavy and is in fact out of limits when there are two heavy people on board. The current battery is over 5 years old and I can’t see it having many more years left in it.

I’ve heard very good things about Odyssey batteries that are fitted to permit aircraft and I wondered if CS-STAN would allow one to be fitted to a certified aircraft on the G-reg.
Had anyone been done this route or knows how to go about getting such a modification done?

The current CS-STAN iss 3 does have an option for primary battery replacement, but the new battery must meet the applicable ETSO or equivalent.

Standard Change CS-SC037a
EXCHANGE OF A MAIN AIRCRAFT BATTERY
1. Purpose
CS-STAN
Annex to ED Decision 2019/010/R CS-SC037a
This SC is for the exchange of a main aircraft battery (e.g. starter battery, batteries for sailplanes) for another type that meets the same minimum standards.
This SC does not cover the installation of lithium batteries.
This SC does not cover the installation of a battery in a new location.
2. Applicability/Eligibility
This SC is applicable to aeroplanes and to rotorcraft that are not complex motor-powered aircraft, and to any ELA2 aircraft.
3. Acceptable methods, techniques, and practices
The following standard contains acceptable data for installation purposes:
— FAA Advisory Circular AC 43-13-2B, Chapters 1, 2 and 10.
Additionally, the following conditions apply:
— An acceptable standard for the battery or the test of the battery cells (performed and stated by the battery manufacturer) is:
 ETSO-C173A or later amendments, or the equivalent.
— Any impact on the weight and balance of the aircraft shall be considered.
— The new battery shall:
 feature a maximum power that is greater than or equal to the power of the replaced battery; and
 have a capacity that is greater than or equal to the capacity of the replaced battery.
4. Limitations
— Any limitations defined by the battery manufacturer apply.
— The regulations for the handling, storage, transport, and disposal of batteries apply.
— Batteries that are used for propulsion are not covered.
— Backup batteries that support essential systems such as avionics, or that are used for IFR, are not covered by this SC.
5. Manuals
Amend the ICAs to establish maintenance actions/inspections and intervals, as required.
6. Release to service
This SC is suitable for the release to service of the aircraft by the pilot-owner.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

5 years old is a mere baby. My battery lasted something like 12 years and when it was replaced it still worked fine!

United Kingdom

Thanks wigglyamp although I have to say I struggle with the interpretation

The SBS J-16 is an FAA PMA Certified Sealed Aircraft Battery the the Piper PA-18, 19 and C-170, C-180, C-195 aircraft and by all accounts is widely used in a large variety of certified aircraft in the the USA.

However its capacity is 15 Ah I pretty sure the one in my aircraft is 22 Ah

Does any one have any thoughts?

Bathman wrote:

However its capacity is 15 Ah I pretty sure the one in my aircraft is 22 Ah

CS-tan explicitly states that the new battery needs to have the same or higher capacity than the replaced one.

Germany

If you want to get away from a wet Gill G35, you need something like this: http://www.gillbatteries.com/Content/specs/7035-28.pdf?dt=132901221224937764

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

The “problem” is, that at the same capacity sealed lead acid batteries are not substantially less heavy than non sealed ones (why should they…).

As the OP wanted to replace the battery to save weight, he can only go with less capacity or with LiPO, etc. Both is not feasible via CS-tan

Germany
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message