Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR L-39 Aerobatics in Switzerland

Hello everyone,

I was wondering about this video by Swiss Jetflying. They are flying VFR aerobatics in the Swiss alps clearly going well above 250 knots. Under what rules are they flying? Some kind of special permission? That stuff should normally only be possible above FL100 (and I don’t think one could get a IFR “block clearance” like in the States anywhere in Europe).

Video in question:

Czech Republic

How about 2000ft above ground, above FL100: class G airspace, no IFR needed, speed not limited?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

SamuelCZ wrote:

(and I don’t think one could get a IFR “block clearance” like in the States anywhere in Europe).

You can get block clearances. When we do IFR airwork at altitude I usually request a block clearance to avoid having a deviation if an excercise is not perfect. Obviously we just request a 2000 ft block but I think you can get more. The video most probably shows flight into class C airspace so I assume they have a clearance. As they seem to offer those flights for money on a regular basis maybe they even have some special aerobatic box or other approvals. Switzerland has quite a bit of military flying for such a small country so I assume ATC is used to such requests.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
and I don’t think one could get a IFR “block clearance” like in the States anywhere in Europe

When I practiced emergency descent as part of class rating for TBM in Germany, blocks were 20k ft or something similar. There was no advance booking. Just ask and it’s approved. Instructor would add “you can send us in any direction” to make it easier.

LPFR, Poland

In UK, those flying JetProvost privately get 250kts speed exemption by asking nearby radar ATC

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Sep 14:12
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies. Is there any place in Europe where you can fly a L-39 IFR on a European reg?

Czech Republic

The ones in UK are “day VFR only” in their permits and “pilot rating” is VFR only as well

I am not sure what it takes to make them IFR? but I am sure you need to know if fly them IFR OCAS in PAR/SRA with military ATC on 6 packs instruments? or IFR as in Eurocontrol flight plans with RNP APCH?

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Sep 15:51

As far as I know the only place in EASA land where non-certified can fly IFR is Norway (maybe Sweden, too). I saw a cockpit tour video of the Patrouille Sparflex L-39s in France and they have IFR avionics installed but mentioned they couldn’t actually fly IFR.

Sorry if my posts come across as gibberish, I’ll only start my PPL training next spring. Just got a bit overexcited watching a few L39 videos. Things seem to be much easier in the US, not to mention fuel prices…

Czech Republic

The SERA rules on the 250kt speed limit for VFR below FL100 include: “Except where approved by the competent authority for aircraft types, which for technical or safety reasons cannot maintain this speed”

Given that this is a special operation anyway they probably have that approval because most military type jets need higher speeds to operate.

Netherlands

I don’t think ATC have problems with 250kias in Golf (they have separation issues in busy controlled airspace), it’s mostly an issue with see & avoid and getting identified on radio & transponder as everything clocking that much speed need Typhoon

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Sep 06:09
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message