Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR transit Belgian coastline

As a relatively new PPL with only two flights in CAS (both during training with my instructor next to me), I’m not too sure how to this. I would like to make a VFR flight along the Belgian coastline, preferably from southwest to northeast. I will have to transit both Koksijde CTR and Ostend CTR.
Do I file a flight plan in advance? Do I just fly up to 5nm south from the border of the Koksijde CTR, call them up and ask for a VFR transit along the coastline? Are there specific entry/exit points I need to be aware of? Am I restricted to certain altitudes?…

So many questions I can’t seem to find the answer to in the AIP.
Anyone experienced with this particular transit procedure that can talk me through it?
Greatly appreciated!

EBGB, Belgium

On weekends Ostend Approach can clear you VFR all the way from French border to COA VOR along the coast at 2000ft, on weekdays you may need a handover between Koksijde/Ostend
I don’t think you need a VFR FP (they tried to retreive mine once from France to Netherlands and failed but still no-issue given a VFR crossing)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

If you’re crossing an international border, you are required to have a FP even VFR.

Tököl LHTL

Yes, you need an FP for cross-border flying

But it is not necessarily distributed to all ATC units along the way apart from ATS at departure or destination (in my case Ostend ATC did not get that FP, they still offed a crossing )

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Jul 15:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This is one of our milk-run routes. EBOS APP are always helpful and give a good traffic service but – if you agree a crossing altitude they expect you to stick to it and can get a bit shirty if you deviate without their permission. Nothing much happens at Koksijde these days but the gunnery ranges may be active.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Thanks for the info! I’ll give it a go next time I go flying by just calling Ostend App when south of the ctr at 2000ft and ask for a transit along the coastline.
Any chance they’ll accept a lower alt you think?

EBGB, Belgium

I have done it frequently at 1000ft and have seen others at 500ft

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I would suggest to always have a FP even if not necessary (eg. EBGB – EBOS) as they’re sometimes refusing entry in the EBOS TMA/CTR if no FP was made before (although you should be able to ask in the air but anyway).
For the rest just ask, they are accommodating. On a trip to EBOS they cleared me from the TMA edge direct to downwind… my answer was basically nope, I would prefer to go via the coastline…“Proceed as requested, report xxx”

Last Edited by jfw at 05 Jul 08:15
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

I wouldn’t necessarily be landing in EBOS, just making a transit through their CTR.
Would I just make a FP EBGB – EBGB in that case?

EBGB, Belgium

just make EBOS your alternate.

EBKT
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message