Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VW engine equivalence

I used to joke that my aircraft was a highly modified VW beetle. However, it seems that this is not the case as it does not have an engine number and I think must have been adapted from an industrial engine rather than a car engine. There is a crank-case number 311.101.101 and 311.101.102 but I’m baffled when it comes to buying replacement parts that are compatible. Shops all want to know the engine number but unsurprisingly get spooked if I tell them it’s an aircraft and doesn’t have one. I know it was fitted to the aircraft at least in 1966 and possibly before, and was originally 1500cc, single port.

I’m guessing the crankcase number starting with a ‘3’ means that it is a type 3 engine. Does anybody know if I’m correct? It would be much easier if I could generate an engine number that would ensure that parts were compatible. I don’t know whether that’s possible.

Websites like this and this indicate you may be right about it being a VW Type 3 engine. If it doesn’t have a serial number, I’d guess the crankcase was bought from VW way back when as a replacment part (not a complete engine) as supplying non serialized replacement crankcases is common practice by engine manufacturers. That said, the first link contains the following text in describing the number for a different part that is used on multiple types of VW engine.

“The 311 designation is used because the 1300/1500/1600 engine was FIRST used in the Type 3 model VWs, even though it ended up being most recognized as a part that could be used in Beetles”

So unless the crankcase design is specific to a Type 3, the non-serialized crankcase could have been supplied as a VW replacement part for a different 1500 cc engine.

As with aircraft engines, there are people who seem from a distance to have everything to do with aircooled VWs memorized. If you can reach them, I think those are the kind people who can help you best when working on a ‘custom’ or modified engine.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Jul 15:07

VW really only produced 3 different flat 4, Type 1 (the beetle engine), type 4 for the 411, 412 and Porsche 914, and the Wasserboxer for late vans. Sauer and Limbach use the crankcase of the Wasserboxer apparently for their largest engines (2.4L +), but it really is just a larger and strengthen type 1 crankcase. Grob used the type 4 in the Grob 109b as a 2.5L variant, the only aircraft I know that used that engine. Type 4 is a different engine altogether, but the same shape (flat 4).

Type 1, 2 and 3 may be identical engines, the type differentiates the car (beetle, bus or type 3) It’s rather confusing. On my Aerovee (type 1 or 2 or 3 if you chose) I have longer conrods from Hummel and tops from Revmaster. In hindsight I really should have purchased a Revmaster or Sauer or Hummel instead of the Aerovee, but …

I have the book How to rebuild your VOLKSWAGEN Air-cooled Engine by Tom Wilson. It lists up all the different variants, 1, (2, 3), and 4 and also the Wasserboxer (type 2 with the code CV according to the book).

As an aircraft engine, it doesn’t really matter if it’s type 1, 2 or 3. It’s probably modified to such an extent that the different designations play no role anymore.

The person I know (have communicated with by e-mail) that seems to know the VW engine (in aircraft) best of all is Scott Casler at Hummel engines. My advice is to get that book and also contact him

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Which parts do you need? As far as I know, the only replacement case you can get is a generic one, commonly known as AS41 (which I think is the casting number). They are made at VW in Brazil. They have all the holes and attachment points needed, and are machined to accept larger cylinders and so on. When looking in the book, you could also have the smaller 40 HP casing, but this is easily identifiable (from the book).

Depending on how much you will replace, it could be easier and cheaper to get the core case and crank at Great Plaines or Hummel, and modify/fix auxiliary stuff as needed ? maybe.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks – particularly for your second link Silvaire.

I may or may not need a fuel pump – had a loss of power on my last flight which I think may have been due to fuel starvation. I’ve ruled out a problem with the fuel lines so that leaves the carburetor or fuel pump. I’ve just bought a fuel pressure gauge so I shall revisit my aircraft and try and work out what the problem really is.

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message