Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Want a new aircraft ? Not allowed in the UK (if EASA TC changed since brexit)

@Graham, all FAA standard category aircraft regardless of which country originally certified them, and what treaties may exist with other countries, have an FAA TC. Overseas ADs etc are not US law or applicable to FAA registry owners, and FAA reviews/fixes/moderates or ignores them when necessary to protect the interests of US citizens against incompetent foreign regulatory action. Also, when foreign countries remove the TC for a given type because it doesn’t have commercial ‘support’ (a practice that is contrary to US law) the FAA TC is unaffected. All of this is a very, very good thing for owners.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Oct 14:44

Peter wrote:

I wonder if this is applicable only to planes whose only TC is an EASA one?

Why should that be the case? Is there a unilateral declaration of the UK CAA that they accept all US/Brazil/China/Canada TCs?

Germany

Well, when the UK left the control of Brussels, it didn’t leave US/Brazil/China/Canada as well. Last time I checked, but I could be wrong (have been wrong before many times) US/Brazil/China/Canada were not EU member countries. I mean, even the good old paragon of human rights, Turkey, didn’t manage to get in, and they are right on the doorstep. Not even Serbia which is even nearer.

It would be interesting to get the source for the original post.

Also, I reckon the UK CAA does accept TCs from US/Brazil/China/Canada, given that these countries were around long before aviation was invented. Well, the US is quite recent, I guess, and the English may not be too pleased they got booted out of there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Like every other CAA, also the UK CAA in the end does only accept their own type certificates. As UK has been EASA member until Jan 21, up until this time all EASA TCs automatically have been UK TCs as well. As far as I know, US TCs never have been – so even before Jan you could not register an airplane in the UK that had a US-TC but no European ones.
EASA (but not US) TCs that have been in place before Jan have been grandfathered in the UK CAA and became (or remained) UK TCs at that time.

Newly issued TCs after Jan (doesn’t matter at all if EASA, US, Brazil, etc.) do not automatically become UK TCs. Someone has to apply for a UK TC and depending on the mood of the CAA it can either decide “well, the EASA still knows what they do and therefore we will issue a UK TC as an administrative action based on the EASA data” or “what bloody hell does the FAA know – here is our test program and before you document it handwritten on UK manufactured vat paper we will not even consider to issue a TC” (or something in between.

Germany

Perhaps @A_and_C can supply more information.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

Like every other CAA, also the UK CAA in the end does only accept their own type certificates. As UK has been EASA member until Jan 21, up until this time all EASA TCs automatically have been UK TCs as well. As far as I know, US TCs never have been – so even before Jan you could not register an airplane in the UK that had a US-TC but no European ones.

This sounds correct indeed.

The question is, how was it before EASA? I recall that Switzerland for instance did indeed accept FAA TC’s up until it became an EASA member. So what about the UK?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Unfortunately I bet the 737-MAX debacle has rather poisoned the well and there will be people with authority in the CAA who will say “we can’t trust the FAA so we aren’t simply going to accept their TCs” (well until airlines get Grant Shapps to pressure them), and then the general government animosity towards the EU will probably mean they won’t hurry to simply accept EASA TCs either. The losers, are as always, the private aircraft owners.

Andreas IOM
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message