Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Weather information Africa

Diamond Aircraft have ferried a bunch of new DA42’s to places that have required crossing Egypt at least, and possibly some of the other countries you have mentioned too. Micke Lang is one of their pilots and has a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/MickeLang). He seems to respond to some comments, so you could try asking him what sources they used. While you’re on the channel you can watch him do a lowish circle around the pyramids too!

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Egypt should be easy. There is an outfit based around Cairo – GASE – which is reportedly extremely helpful.

I have some overflight agents listed on my website.

Sudan has historically been crossed by pre-positioning avgas drums but if you can use jet-a1 you don’t need that. After Sudan you are into the “former British colonial” Africa which tends to sort of function and there is a lot more GA there too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I believe there’s not much low-level coverage in Africa. Most companies that operate in and out of Africa mark most places as a “Hull loss” unless destination or alternate, so never really need much weather information except CBs, which is the common theme when I operated LHR-CPT/ABV/ACC/NBO.

Presume you can get a rough idea for weather using this; https://www.avmet.ae/metcharts.aspx

TAFs + METARs and a lot of looking out the window and avoiding flying at night across the ITCZ. We used to get moderate turbulence 150 miles away from cells.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

@Manitu: I hope a nice trip report will be posted later on. This is something that fascinates me and I have it on my bucket list :)

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

@ lukepower – wilco!
Probably not as professional as many others, but I will write a little report before X-Mas.
We are taking around 3 weeks for this trip and

EDMA
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message