Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GRAMET (merged thread)

achimha wrote:

I would select the ATS waypoint option for the map and choose a few close ones in the “pickup” list next to your departure aerodrome.

Cool! Learned something new about autorouter again!

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Just keep in mind that not every pickup will produce a (good) result, especially when the airspace does not allow DCTs. Therefore better don’t use it unless you have to and then give it a good list of candidates.

I actually asked the radar guy on the phone about giving me an IFR pickup point but he just said “take off, fly direct VESUB, squawk 1141 and call me and I’ll give you an IFR clearance”. I didn’t know that this is possible but this way I got the clearance very soon after take-off.

Once you have an individual squak they see you on their screen with details as soon as the radar picks up your signal. The only missing bit is radio communication to make the “control” part work. The thing about when “IFR” starts seems to be mostly legal.

Frequent travels around Europe

And that’s why I took off :-) He saw me in 2500 feet already although the MVA is 3600 in that area.

Yup. It’s kind of interesting to see how relaxed that works outside of Germany. Just go seems to be the general attitude :-)

Frequent travels around Europe

I think the Cirrus changed my attitude towards these things. Some months ago i did a minimum visibility T/O (from an Airport) into the fog which I would have never done in another airplane, but with the Cirrus you can do it: EFATO abover 500 ft AGL is a CAPS case anyway, fog or not. So it’s only the 1st 500 feet that are dangerous …

The T/O today was one I would not have don with an airplane without modern systems, CAPS and anti-ice. When I entered the clouds it was already -0°C and the chances for a successful emergency landing are slim coming out of the clouds at 500 ft AGL …

THe trick will be not to trust all that stuff TOO MUCH. That’s the risk i see.

Airborne_Again wrote:

at the same time the symbol for cloud cover shows sky clear. In reality the cloud cover was 7-8 octas.

But not at the same altitude, the cloud density symbol is only for the altitude it is depicted at (700hPa pressure plane for the lowest circles)

LSZK, Switzerland

Flyer59 wrote:

although the MVA is 3600 in that area.

The MVA is determined as much – if not more – by obstacles and airspace structure as it is by radar coverage.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

tomjnx wrote:

But not at the same altitude, the cloud density symbol is only for the altitude it is depicted at (700hPa pressure plane for the lowest circles)

Ok. Because of the emphasis of GFS using three distinct layers for cloud forecast, I had interpreted the circles to be aggregate cloud cover for the corresponding layer.

But why then bother to include the cloud density symbol at all? If there are clouds on the 700 hPa level, they will be depicted. Right?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message