Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Forum ratings?

Hello,

Could you explain the forum ratings that appear against some of the postings and what the figure next to it indicates? I notice that not all postings have this rating and it is not clear to me what its purpose is or how it benefits the reader . . .

Thanks

EuropaBoy
EGBW

The "Forum Rating" relates to the poster under which it appears. It doesn't show if none of the poster's posts have been rated, hence why you've noticed that it's not on all posters. It is calculated as a number between 0 and 100 and indicates the proportion of the poster's posts which have been rated positively. So 100 means all their posts that have been rated have been done so positively.

We deliberately don't show the rating of any individual posts nor the total number of posts a person has made, and of course not how another person has rated any particular post.

Ideally the positive and negative voting links will be used to indicate the quality of the post, not the extent to which you agree with it. For this reason, you can rate a question positively, or an answer with which you disagree, if it's well meaning, well constructed, interesting, useful, etc.

We may introduce other metrics in future, but all with an aim to helping the forum be more informative and interesting, and keeping down spam, junk, forum trolls and so on.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Not sure I understand the rating system, David. At present it either shows no Forum rating at all, for a few posters, and everyone else scores 100.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

2g1r, as I mentioned, it doesn't show if none of the poster's posts have been rated. Actually it also doesn't show if their rating is zero or less. What I didn't go in to the detail of is that rating a post negatively takes away the impact of having rated another positively. So if you had made only two posts, one rated positively and one negatively the net rating is zero and thus won't be displayed.

If someone scores 100 it's because all of the posts by those posters that have been rated have been rated positively.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Mmmm! I've clearly pi**ed off somebody then ;)

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

Hi Steve Nice to see someone else based at EGBJ. Just positively rated your post :)

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

There are a few of us, Jude. Just rated yours, we Glos folks have to stick together :)

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

Thanks Rich, and done the same :)

Were you in CAC the other week?

If it was a 6ft blond haired bloke build like a prop forward that would have been Rich.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

Think I would have remembered him then, lol !!!!

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message