Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moderation not moderate enough?

Hmmmmm. I had thought that this forum had been set up to be better than this: how sad!

EGSC

alex old chap, you’re still not really listening. This didn’t start because you posted personal attacks. I’m giving up on trying to explain that, because I genuinely believe you’re seeing red and you’re not really even trying to understand. I know you don’t agree with Peter’s interpretations of the guidelines and that’s fine, but ultimately someone has to interpret and apply them and as the moderator that’s what he did. Had you made private contact and explained your viewpoint rather than spam-posting, ranting on about leaving etc. then you might have got a better response. We did reach out to you privately but you repeatedly wrote back and said, literally, you’re not interested, banging on about North Korea, and so on. That you’ve posted here prolifically for as long as you have without issue shows that that’s nonsense. We know you’ve told us you’ve received some encouragement, but we’ve also received quite a lot too.

I welcomed this thread because it can be a discussion about the best way to apply the guidelines (themselves to which as yet nobody has suggested any changes). Please don’t derail it with your own personal battle. Jason said this wasn’t about you, so please let it drop on here and carry on your private correspondence, ok?

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

As well as the other points I mentioned, the aspect of moderation I find most troublesome is what I would summarise as “this thread has become boring”.

I know that you only want interesting posts on here but banter is part of the internet and I think cutting it off too much is counterproductive. There are social as well as technical aspects to any forum. I think it also involves too much of a subjective evaluation.

While I would lock any thread on mobile phone technologies involving Symbian, others would disagree.

EGTK Oxford

Jason, can you send me some links to threads where this has been the issue? I’m not saying they don’t exist, I’d just like to take a look at them.

Administrator

Sure. Will take a look later tonight.

EGTK Oxford

We have never modded threads because they have become “boring”.

Nothing was deleted from the Mooney thread – until yesterday’s post flooding problems.

Obviously I think that informative postings make a more interesting site, and these for obvious reasons tend to not be one-liners. There have been numerous cases where somebody posted – in a serious context – a one-liner which obviously deserved elaboration and I did ask for further information. On a personal note I fail to understand why some people post such one-liners, because it can’t be worth the effort of navigating to the right place, etc, etc. But nothing like that was ever moderated. And what one might call friendly banter was never removed or, to my recollection, even commented on negatively.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why did you delete my last posting?

Read my post 36 and the reason is very clear. If you are still not sure then please email.

Administrator

You think this is okay? I make a factual posting and you delete it? Do you enjoy having that much power?

I’ve asked you to stop posting over and over and over about the Mooney thread. I’ve also tried to explain a few times now what the original problem was but you either don’t understand or don’t agree both of which are fine. If you want to discuss something new that’s fine but for that same old stuff please stick to email.

Last Edited by David at 08 Mar 15:12
Administrator
Sign in to add your message