Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to generate an email with inline pics?

Yeah, I forgot to add this needs to work on a Psion Organiser

You might all laugh, but one of my most lucrative products, still selling, is old enough to mention the above as one of the configuration tools in its user manual. Just shows that perception and reality are often misaligned if you like your income stream to not be a flash in the pan…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My company has still got some equipment out on rental that was originally supplied in the early 80’s. It resolutely fails to die and does the job perfectly well, so there’s little point in changing it.

We made a difficult decision about ten years ago to stop repairing these things and just replace them with new ones. This proved to be a mistake because most of the new units have since had problems!

First ever ‘app’ I sold was for the Psion Organiser. It was a stock management system for a hosiery company. The reps used it to tell them how many pairs of tights they needed to restock the local corner shops with. When they got home each evening, they would plug it into a modem to transfer the day’s transactions and order replacement stock to be sent out to them. I was 14 at the time, and I suppose this should have been the start of a long and glorious career… in reality, I’m as skint now as I was then!

I’ve done more tests…

It turns out that Outlook and Outlook Express are both capable of generating inline images in emails, if the emails are inserted using the Insert menu feature.

The program also has to be configured to send emails in HTML, not plain text – predictably!

If you drag/drop them, they are sent as attachments and this also seems to be the case if you invoke Outlook in a command line, as would be the case from ACDSEE.

As I said before, I am just amazed this has not been done before, as a standalone windows executable. All the search hits I am getting are related to bulk emailing (possibly spammer) requirements (where inline images seem to be sough after to avoid the email being classified as spam!) and you could do that perfectly well with a windows executable driven from a mailmerge setup of some kind (e.g. MS Word). It seems to be a road many have gone up…

It also turns out that the email content is passed to Outlook Express via a .eml temporary file, as described here and a way to generate the file is described in many places e.g. here So if you format the .eml file correctly, Outlook Express is just used as a dumb SMTP SEND program.

Administrator

Update:

Following David’s suggestion I have found a pretty good solution, by getting ACDSEE (has to be a late version) to export selected images, resized, to a directory on the hard drive which happens to be a Dropbox one. The URL to this is then emailed to the recipient.

Of course the recipient doesn’t “have” the pics as he would with an email, though with an extra step he can download a zipfile of the whole folder.

It’s a better solution for viewing full screen on a PC, where the 1600 pixel wide images would, if placed inline in an email, produce a very wide and unwieldy email.

There is a subtle advantage in that if you create two directories containing different pics and intended for different people, any pics which exist in both directories are uploaded only once. And each person cannot discover the other one (in theory). In practice I would not use Dropbox for anything really sensitive…

Administrator
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message