Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Implementing an mp4 player on one's own server

It also works fine on Safari, and on Safari on both iPad and iPhone.

Are you using my link, or have you re-uploaded it to your server?

ps. EuroGA has pride of place on the toolbar of the browser I actually use (Safari) ;)

Last Edited by stevelup at 05 Feb 12:53

I have re-uploaded it to my FTP site.

However, using your URL, it does work in Chrome!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok, your original URL is now working fine for me on all browsers on my Mac. I don’t have access to a Windows machine where I am (yes, I even killed off my Virtual Machine), so can’t do any further digging there…

Interestingly, your link doesn’t work on my phone (iPhone 5S iOS 8.something) but my link does. That is weird…

It gets more weird. If I upload the video to my $20/month linode.com server (which hosts peter2000.co.uk for example)

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/videos/winter-flight.mp4

that works in Firefox and Chrome.

But the version stored at the server space which I use for ad-hoc FTP

http://peter-ftp.co.uk/videos/winter-flight.mp4

works in FF but not Chrome.

I am told it could be caused by MIME configuration on the web server. Sure, I do know that some browsers determine the file type by its suffix (.mp4 etc) while others look at the MIME string, and maybe some even read the first few bytes of the file.

Administrator

No, there’s nothing wrong with your headers:-

LoopyMac:~ stevenew$ curl -I http://peter-ftp.co.uk/videos/winter-flight.mp4
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 09:58:49 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8b DAV/2 PHP/5.3.5 Phusion_Passenger/3.0.12
Last-Modified: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 11:44:29 GMT
ETag: “2328060-2ed9f95-50e55d39f6140”
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 49127317
Content-Type: video/mp4

I’ve bolded the relevant bits…

I really don’t know why it isn’t working – I’d suggest looking at the server logs if you have access to them. It doesn’t work in Chrome on the Mac either FWIW.

Try giving it a subtly different filename in case of some bizarre caching issue?

I have now got peter-ftp.co.uk moved to the linode.com server, so feel free Steve to try that same mp4… it will be interesting for sure. It works for me in Chrome now, I think.

This capability is interesting because if you are on the fairly typical hosted server, you get way more bandwidth (GB/month) than you can use. I get 3TB/month which is about 50x the peter2000.co.uk usage. So hosting videos on there, rather than on vimeo or youtube, makes sense.

And if you want a player sort of look, just drop a jpeg showing a suitable frame from the movie into your web page, with a Play button in the corner to make it look like a player, and link the mp4 file to that jpeg. Or maybe even make the play button itself an imagemap

Administrator

That works fine now in all browsers on the Mac.

I have now created another video file, Vegas 11, Handbrake m2ts to mp4 with the “web friendly” setting ticked, and put it here (270MB).

It seems to work for me too. So that’s a much easier path than using those special tools for moving the data from the end to the start.

The Vimeo version is here

Administrator

Sure, I only suggested the tools as a way to quickly convert the videos you had already encoded – so as to save you re-encoding them.

Sign in to add your message