Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cloud Cloud and more Cloud...

This is somewhat relevant to aviation because a lot of people use Dropbox etc…

I have often wondered just how safe online storage really is.

My GF has just wiped her Iphone4 and it is going on Ebay. She has just got this scam email

where the link asks for credit card details.

Scams are on every corner but somehow this one knew that the phone had been deregistered with Apple – I cannot see any other explanation other than inside access.

Obviously you don’t care who sees your flight plan routepacks or whatever, but (a) they are a dead giveaway to when your house may be empty and (b) you may be storing some other stuff which is meant to be private.

This scam is really very clever and more clever than previous clever stuff like seeing that somebody has a load of DSCNxxxx pics on their website, looking at the EXIF data for the Sony camera model, and emailing them “from Sony” with a link to a firmware update for their exact camera model

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

but somehow this one knew that the phone had been deregistered with Apple

Phishing ?
Last Edited by Michael at 20 Feb 13:15
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I don’t trust cloud storage at all. It happens too frequently that cloud data is unavailable for extended periods of time (or even lost) because of problems with cloud servers or that the provider simply decides to close down. And this even with paid-for premium services. Regarding security, I wouldn’t leave sensitive data to any cloud service unless I’ve encrypted it myself.

As you might expect, my only use of cloud services is sharing non-sensitive data with other people.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I thought this was an astonishing coincidence (if indeed it was one), given that she has had zero emails from Apple for 4.5 years and now this one. Also the phone is not yet on Ebay (that would be another way to make this scam look good) and when it comes on it will be under my identity not hers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I believe I have received similar e-mails myself, and I have certainly not unregistered.

I also receive messages that from the “French Tax Authorities”, “Paypal” and others.

Phishing. You need to be really careful these days.

LFPT, LFPN

The other day I was in a vodafone shop and during my stay there, two middle aged women came with printed out emails each and giving tirades that they are not going to pay the invoice, they are not customers and how dare vodafone… The guy told me he gets like 10 complaints a day

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message