Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Smart watch - any benefit to pilots?

You may have an old version of their health app?

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

Actually I do own a galaxy S9+ and notice that it once had a sensor for this, but samsung has removed it from its app “samsung Health” during 2019 without much explanation.

Weird. It certainly is there right now (checked) on my S8 Note and as far as I know it is also there on my wife’s S10 Lite. Will recheck. Would be hacked off if they really removed it.

Come to think of it: Does Samsung Health still show the Stress Meter on your phone? Because if it does, then you can measure So2 with that. Also check on the bottom right there is a menu for options which allows to add or take away elements. Maybe it’s simply deactivated in your phone and you can get it back?

The L7 will, if paired, transmit it’s data to your phone and keep track. I’ve not used it in this faculty though.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Stress is still available for measurements, but it’s not very meaningful for the use I plan, it’s version 6.11.xxx. SpO2 is not anymore but you can find another app to drive it (in my case fitzy+).

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

Stress is still available for measurements, but it’s not very meaningful for the use I plan, it’s version 6.11.xxx. SpO2 is not anymore but you can find another app to drive it (in my case fitzy+).

Stress measures both SpO2 and heartrate. So if you use that, you will get both of those measured and displayed. At least in mine. 6.11.0.061. In that version, I was also able to restore SpO2 using the Elements menu at the lower right.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Ok, so it may be related to national regulation so, because we have the same version but for sure I can’t restore this feature from the lower right “manage items” screen.
Do you know how this stress item manage the result versus the hearth and SpO2?
Fitzy also sends 2 lights on the sensor, a red one and a blue one to do it’s measurements, although health apps sends only a red one.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 11 Sep 06:57
LFMD, France

So Blood O2 is available on Apple Watch Series 6.

EGTF, LFTF

Unbelievably, 7 years later (I wonder if @jude098 ever got one) the Garmin D2 is being promoted, with a new model; the D2 Air.

I must be missing something, because surely this

Its lithium-ion battery lasts all day (10 hours) in the air with internal GPS and other power-hungry sensors on, and a full workweek (five days) on the ground in normal operation.

is a huge hassle. A watch which has roughly the battery life of a TB20’s fuel endurance at altitude Some people must be smoking something, to think this is reasonable…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I bought the new Apple Watch Series 6 and tried it out while using O2 on my last flight up to FL160.

It was so far working perfectly. You have to make sure your hand is not moving, best is to lay it down on your knee, palm down. The measurement works through an own apple watch app which you have to start manually. It takes about 15-20 seconds and shows the result in %. If you don’t quit the app and leave it open, the watch will regularly do measurements (I had the impression every around 5-10 minutes) and show you the result. I cross checked with a pulse oxymeter and I didn’t find huge discrepancies at all (the Watch was rather showing more pessimistic values than the oxymeter).

Overall I think it’s a great tool when flying with O2.

Germany

After having considered and then dismissed a number of smartwatches for years, I have now ordered a Huawei GT2e. I needed a new watch for daily primary use so it should look “normal” and be comfortable, and this one should do that, and it offers SpO2 among many other features. GPS, but no map since I have long ago decided that I am not going to use that feature in a watch. It does well in reviews generally. Around EUR 120.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Today I saw the Garmin Fenix 6x in a shop. The description claimed 60hrs running time when “active” and 80 days when not active.

Does this mean that to use it as a watch you need to charge it only once in 80 days?

Most smart watches need to be charged daily, AIUI.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message