Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Video editing software

I think you meant Adobe Premiere.

All these programs will way exceed the artistic ability of 99% of users.

What one does not want is one which keeps crashing, like the early ones eg Pinnacle Studio.

The extra hundreds go on special features like attaching a label to a moving feature. Handy for flying videos. And millions of special effects which will be out of fashion next year.

99% of the difference between a crappy video (99% of videos) and an OK one is just in cutting.

A stabilised camera is essential as a starting point.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Editing is not about cutting it is about pacing. That is the difference between a good video and a bad one.

France

Thanks guys. I’ve downloaded DaVinci Resolve Free and am working on getting the hang of it. This message appears at startup:
“Intel hardware accelerated decode and encode have been disabled as the current Intel graphics driver is not compatible with DaVinci Resolve. Please update your drivers to enable this feature.”
Does this matter? I can’t find an option in W10 to do this.
I’ve added mp4s, played with cutting, but haven’t yet found the command to export as an mp4. I’ve only read a few bits of the 1k+ page manual. Plenty left to learn. This and flying the Bolkow may help keep my mind active despite not attending the Old Folks Bingo.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 17 Feb 23:29
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

A nice presentation from 2019 on the subject of this thread from “Niko’s Wings”

LGMG Megara, Greece

Maoraigh it will take some time to get to grips with Resolve. I have been working with it for IIRC 5years and have grown up with editing of all sorts and I still have to look things up in the 1000page book and they keep adding new features. There are incidentally, some very good You Tube tutorials on various items of Resolve. I use a Macbook Pro for Resolve17 so can’t really help with your particular situation with regards windows10. However if you Google drives for your particular GPU you might find an update to download there. With regards exporting to mp4, it comes up on my Resolve export list, and might appear there when you update your GPU drive.
Obviously your GPU is compatible with Resolve, otherwise it would normally tell you it is not.
You can, however export to another code eg Microsoft movie and if that is not mp4 compatible you can run it through a coding software which you can download free online.
This should not be necessary however. I will check again on the Resolve17 export list and make sure mp4 is there. I haven’t used that in some time as my last few edits have been downloaded direct to YT or Vimeo formats.
(Apologies if I am not using the correct terminology, I just use it I don’t write it)

France

Handbrake is very good for video format conversions.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks. Very useful.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I’ve now managed to edit and save two videos using Resolve. I’m now happy as a rat in a Skinner Box which has got two food pellets, but isn’t completely certain what it did that made them appear. Thanks for the help.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I found and tried Shotcut which is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor.
Seems working fine for the few tests I made with it.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

I do my quick videos using GoPro Quick, which basically edits the video for you for about 95% but allows you to fine tune it. Here is a sample video that I basically did not edit much. The pictures and videos are taken with my iPhone camera, a gopro mounted in the cockpit and a DJI drone. All the footage was loaded into my iPad and edited using the GoPro Quick app.

If I want to do more of the video editing myself, I load the video in an app for the iPhone/iPad called LumaFusion. All the editing I then do on the iPad. But to be honest, this takes a lot of time! and so I prefer to play around with the GoPro Quick app and finetune what they created for me in the first place.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 26 Feb 13:50
EDLE, Netherlands
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message