Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How is Apple still in business?

You might also check out the xposed framework and Xprivacy (if you’re going that route).
xposed give you full control of everythiing, and Xprivacy lets you deny anything to any process on your device.

Great for using the free version of apps without actually having new ads load… :)
Also great for using apps that want to access all your files, photos, contacts, etc. without actually letting them access that stuff.

Another feature that’s great is location spoofing, so apps think you’re on Christmas Island, or in China, or wherever you ‘want to be’.

Many thanks for that, AF. I had never heard of it so I looked it up and can see one issue: I am running a stock Samsung ROM. Also I am not really bothered about my own privacy… I just like things to work I also pay for apps that actually work – most are really cheap – but a lot of apps have no paid option and just serve ads and those are good to block internet access for. Location spoofing might be fun when using the telegram app to organise a meet-up on a EuroGA fly-in

The first post-rooting job is to rename the camera click mp3 file, to block Samsung’s crazy compliance with some countries’ laws on the mandatory camera click. I wonder if Apple do the same? There is a way around that on an unrooted phone, using an app which detects when the camera is launched and it winds down the volume control. That isn’t possible on IOS unless rooted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You simply shut off the shutter sound with the mute button.

And that does only the camera app?

Administrator

Sorry, maybe i misunderstood. With the mute button of the phone you can also mute the shutter sound.

Yes, exactly, same on android too. You wind down the appropriate volume and the camera click goes away, but you also lose all the other system sounds e.g. beeps on incoming messages.

The mfg could have made this click-mandatory thing country-specific (based on GPS location for example) but there are issues with the various methods.

Administrator
go in system/media/audio/ui and rename “shutter.ogg” to “shutter.bak”

or simply replace that .ogg file with a different one (silent, or whatever you want)
source

Last Edited by AF at 24 Sep 21:32

Oh yes, I did actually know about those Been there before on the S6 and the T705.

So now all my android devices are rooted and as a result AFAIK none of them will run any Jepp or Garmin software Or maybe Garmin Pilot will refuse to run only if you have loaded some Jepp terminal charts? BUT Android Pay still runs on my S7 so how does that work? The world’s most nonresponsive IT forum SDA forum has no answers, other than some very complicated and quite recent root process which preserves Knox or whatever it is called.

Administrator

Oh gosh, Knox is a disaster.
Thankfully, I didn’t have to do that, but I did something similar to preserve the Sony noise canceling firmware capabilities… Madness, really.

Knox is a marketing ploy to obtain corporate customers and enforce corporate level IT control over the sheeples of the company.
Having seen unbelievable levels of ignorance, I get it, but being educated, I hate it…

I’m surprised that GP won’t work just because Knox is out…

BTW did you try option 2 from here?

If you use the tablet for work, and need certs for verification, I’d tread lightly, but if it is just for flying, you don’t even need Knox.

From what I just read, the Play Store is installed in the protected Knox ’ area ’ (not sure if that means partition or folder) and rooting exposes that ’ area ’ which makes Knox render itself as compromised and therefore won’t certify itself to the play store properly.

I’m no Knox expert though, just trying to be helpful.

I guess this is now thread drift as well…

Sign in to add your message