Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airfields and Weather Google Earth

I can’t find it anymore and it might be long gone but a few years ago there was a website that would display a flight route with actual weather in 3D in Google Earth.

Is there anything out there that does the same? Preferably you’d punch in A to B or some waypoints and altitudes and get a good overview where you will experience which weather phenomena.

Is there a database of all airfields out there for GE? I like to see which airfields are close to the route and check on GE what kind of terrain is close by etc…
Edit: Database link from ca. 2005 only containing most airports and not airfields :(
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/gec-open-forum/NKAzDzCeKEU

Thanks!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 02 Sep 07:58
always learning
LO__, Austria

@snoopy you didn’t get much response

There have been various databases, compiled by keen individuals, for placing airfields and similar aviation data, onto google earth. These gradually go out of date since there is little incentive to maintain them.

Some years ago I used a program called MOBAC (Mobile Atlas Creator) which captured map tiles from various online map sites and generated offline maps from these. Over time, most of the online map sites started implementing detection of these programs (basically by detecting high speed bulk downloads) and tools like MOBAC got blocked. OSM (Open Streetmap) blocked these downloads too. One of the options in MOBAC was the Oziexplorer format (.map and .ozf2) and I generated a complete set of terrain maps from google earth (which was one of the last available online databases and may still be open now for bulk downloads) for flying over the Alps above an overcast, so one could glide somewhere sensible in the event of an engine failure. Anyway, I found somewhere some waypoint database which overlaid airports over this mapdata. It was produced by a guy in Switzerland.

But as I said and as you found, there doesn’t seem to be a proper up to date database for GE.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I remember the website…it was working on a 2008 windows company office/crewroom computer. You punched in your flight routing and it showed a nice trajectory through clouds etc…
I’ll keep digging…

always learning
LO__, Austria
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message