Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What annual (or recurring) checks does EASA require on pitot/static instruments?

I don’t own an EASA aircraft so this is mostly of academic interest. I know about the FAA biennial check on transponders (and altimeters, for IFR).

What checks do EASA require, on a recurring basis, on a typical SEP used for VFR on:

• airspeed indicator
  • altimeter
  • transponder (altitude encoder)

The basis for this is that there’s been an article in the LAA mag (and some forum discussion) on instrument calibration/accuracy, with the thread ending with the question: “Should the LAA impose recurring checks on these things”. So I’d like to know what goes on in the certified world.

Andreas IOM

As you might know, for UK EASA gliders within the BGA CAMO, the ASI are check annually and need to be within 2 knots of the calibrator.
Altimeter, only the pressure adjustment is checked and needs to be within 2 hPa of the reference.
Thorough owner/inspector might check the TE, static and pitot lines for leaks/blockages at the same time.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Plenty of people here run a Part M maintenance company…

Maybe @bookworm knows which regulation applies here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Most aircraft operated for commercial operations in the UK are now on manufacturers maintenance program or a CAA LAMP cut & paste program, all of these I have seen require an annual check of the pitot/static system.

With the SDMP I guess you could write in just about anything but the question of “is it wise? “ to stray too far from an annual check of sutch an important system.

NOTE in this case I use “commercial “ to mean flying club use ECT not AOC.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 11 May 07:20

Hang on a minute… What on earth is the point of the pitot static instruments in the context of a moderately competent private pilot on a visual flight?

We check altitude/pressure setting against our chart before every take off, and we check it against charted hills en route and before landing if we don’t know the local QNH.

We set power and attitude (by glancing out of the window from time to time) and, funny old thing, that controls airspeed.

Even in CAS, we could quote GPS altitude from our iPhone on first contact with ATC. Being none the wiser, they would do the maths before assigning us an altitude.

If it weren’t for FAA regs and occasional IMC, then of all the aerojumble in my panel the pitot/static dials would be the first to be sacrificed so as to shorten take off run by a few inches.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

However inaccurate, these instruments don’t need any power and barely any maintenance. You’ll be thankful to have them next time your panel goes dark.

ESMK, Sweden
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message