Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What can an FAA CFI teach on an N reg in the UK and EU?

In addition to Biennial Flight Reviews, transition training on complex and tailwheel, Instrument Proficiency Check, and general IR work that can be used in credit to a CBIR (ie the non ATO bits) – is there any activity that an FAA CFI can conduct in UK/EU on an N reg?

My hunch is that the owner pilot N reg community will grow post Br***t in the UK. In practice this will still mean that original issue licences and ratings will still require going to the USA. Although the green uplands may possibly yield a BASA between the CAA and FAA, perhaps not just yet.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The FAA accepts all training done outside the US, so this FAA CFI/CFII could train (totally freelance) towards the FAA PPL or the FAA IR, respectively.

Of course, in Europe, there are “people out there” who don’t like this “training outside the ATO system” but it is 100% legal as far as the FAA is concerned.

In fact the FAA accepts all training hours from outside the US, with any ICAO FI, so he doesn’t even need to be an FAA FI. Sure there is the argument that TSA approval is required, but if the FI was not an FAA one, this doesn’t matter.

The only things for which an FAA CFI/CFII is required are

• BFR/IPC
  • the 3 hrs required to be flown within 60 days of a PPL , CPL, ATP or IR checkride

Transition training, I don’t know about.

My hunch is that the owner pilot N reg community will grow post Br***t in the UK

I think that will depend on whether the CAA continues the current concession (currently implemented as the SRG2140/SRG2142) and revokes the already-done absorption of the EASA FCL anti-N-reg stuff into the ANO.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have not had contact, but this fellow seems to offer a full FAA training program and even claims TSA approval for it. There is rather sparse info on the web site, so anyone interested would need to send an enquiry message.

LSZK, Switzerland
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message