Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (16-17 December 2023)

Thread starter…

Today would be a day to go flying, finally.
OTOH I prefer to finish my avionics upgrade, then I’ll go fly

My good friend Tony helped me in calibrating my tanks, since the fuel quantity is now integral part of the G3X system. First task was to empty the tanks. I then pulled my steed to the pump, no mean task since it is about 500m away, and as wifey says “you ain’t 20 anymore”
Once there, the tail was lifted and set to a flight attitude. We then filled the tanks stopping at 5 L increments to full. This should result in quite precise readings of the capacitive system, the resulting green line curve produced is quite satisfying to look at… and will be fine tuned with another, in ground attitude, calibration session. Later…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Action

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Second leg of our triangualr trip UK – Italy – Switzerland – UK which stared on last weekend’s “What have you done…”. This trip, Bologna LIPE to Sion LSGS, couldnt have been more of a contrast. Severe clear all the way, instead of IMC from ground level to FL250. Moderate headwinds instead of 100kts tailwind. And a great example of what a GA IFR pilot can do which a commercial IFR pilot cannot.

Here is the route (well from somewhat after departure):

Note the strange dogleg around Mt Blanc, ie all the way to the west of the white lady, north and then back east to LSGS.

So we did what a commercial pilot would not and could not do. Somewhere just west of Milan (near SRN, at FL240) we asked ATC for the following “request heading 320 for direct destination and ready to cancel IFR at your convenience in the descent to FL170, routing via the Matterhorn”. After I was asked “what is VFR point Matterhorn” and replied Monte Cervinia they started to understand, but this was clearly a VERY unusual request for a turbine aircraft in the upper flight levels. There was some back and forth and “we will coordinate with Swiss Control” and then “request granted”. Amazing and a testament to the flexiblity of Italian ATC. I was directed "heading 320, descend FL170, IFR cancelled and contact Milan Info passing FL200. So there I was just a smidgen under 20,000 ft free as bird to turn and descend as we wanted heading for the heart of the Alps, and saving a good 30 minutes of flight time to boot.

So of course we passed just south of Monte Cervinia and waved to what we hope were some EuroGA members doing an early Fly to Ski
on the Theodul Glacier at the top of the Cervinia resort.

I might add that crossing from Italy to Switzerland the weakness of my cunning plan emerged. I fly into Sion in the Valais all the time. Virtually every time the challenge is the transition from the upper winds above the peaks to the calm of entering “inside the valleys”. Today was a bit over the top, with 45kts wind from the NE at FL170 becoming calm wind at 13,000 ft. Turbulence was a bit more than expected (that is putting it mildly).

Back to the miserable UK on Sunday,

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 15 Dec 17:55
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

what a commercial pilot would not and could not do

Not so sure @Buckerfan
In my previous-previous airline, it was not seldom, on nice days that is, when coming from the SW (PMI, VLC, AGP, etc), to ask for a direct CERVI FL250, and a 360 around Matterhorn, before proceeding to ZRH. Granted, it was a “small” jet, as in the Fokker 100

Good ol’times… maybe “they” don’t do this stuff anymore, who knows…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Changed the battery, tested it – all looked good. Was surprised me was the QNH – 1039. I had to have it repeated 3 times before I finally realised that the QNH was so high. Took off to fly to Bielefeld – I make a point of landing there in December to pick up a mug they hand out to all landing pilots. Once airborne, I was pleased to see ground speeds in excess of 150knots, due to the 30 knot tail wind – so got there in record time although the one negative point was that once descending to land, anywhere below 800 feet the air was quite choppy. Picked up the cup and then flew back, was thinking at staying low to minimise the effect of the wind but it had become way too choppy below 1000 feet so we climbed up to 2400 feet and took our time flying back…..

Another box ticked for 2023 flying – picked up the Bielefeld mug….

EDL*, Germany

Yes the high pressure is amazing, considering the miserable wx, but this is normal winter wx, with probably blue skies on top and at quite a low level.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Training flight was canceled (third cancelation in a row). This time not due to bad weather, but due to anti-aviation, pro climate protests . According to the press, the protests mostly targeted EBAW and EBGL today; with ebaw closing for the evening. Tomorrow they might try their luck at other ADs though. My club decided to close shop for the weekend and keep our planes safely locked in their hangers. I hope this blows over soon, so we can resume our training flights. Couldn’t they have protested in a weekend with marginal weather 😕

Last Edited by FlyingHog at 16 Dec 22:29
EBKT, Belgium

FlyingHog wrote:

This time not due to bad weather, but due to anti-aviation, pro climate protests

Ridiculous… and hopefully not sign of things to come…

FlyingHog wrote:

Tomorrow they might try their luck at other ADs though

Please keep them home
Or hang them with your hang e rs in the hang a rs

Last Edited by Dan at 16 Dec 22:36
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

More ILS approaches & holds for me on Friday. This time at Southend.
“and again, and again, and again” (c) The Cure.

EGTR

@arj1 I’m with you! Have also scheduled next training session on Friday. On the menu for me are holdings and LPV approaches.

Germany
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message