Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What if you had 5k to spend on flying

Had a similar experience crossing the channel to the Duxford Flying Legends Airshow this year, it was hard to tell what was cloud, haze or sea in the distance! No pictures because I was busy flying the thing ;-)

EBKT, Belgium

Coast to coast in the US is a great idea.

Tököl LHTL

Bad idea, he only goes over the alps, preferably at FL 180

Not always… this was FL130

Vieke is spot on about haze; often “legal VFR” is practically IMC because there is no horizon. However I would not suggest to anyone that they do the IR unless they have the money and a few other things to make proper use of it afterwards. It’s a big project.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

Consider coast to coast and back in the US. 50 Hrs, just about inside your budget, no ATC hassle, reliable weather forecasting, airports are (mostly) free, etc. Etc. So you can just concentrate on flying almost every day for 2-3 weeks.

Ditto!
Just did that this summer… incredible and well-worth the time.
Highly recommend flying through Oregon/Washington and along the Pacific Coast…

Also, you would do well to attend AirVenture2018 or ‘19. Just plan it and try to make it happen.
Most incredible week of aviation I’ve experienced…

Aveling wrote:

I would probably have given up flying at 50 hrs if it had not been for my discovering the joys and accessibility of US long distance touring, compared with the misery of renting here with low experience when almost every flight resulted in some sort of ‘shouting at’ from some ‘sky God’.

Thankfully, I started in the US first, so my love of it was firmly established.
It has been arduous trying to exercise that on this side of the pond.

However, I’m within striking distance now and absolutely excited about flying again!

Peter wrote:

Not always… this was FL130

Too cool. :)

Making a flying trip in the US is definitely outstanding to say the least (from the POV of a young PPL who did it).

Maybe the forum could share all kinds of flight trip ideas to make people get together to achieve them !
There must be others willing to fly in the US next year !
I highly recommend doing it as a crew of 2 pilots. It is so tiring to fly significantly everyday (for me anyway )

Be aware, if you are on a tight budget, to the non flying costs of flying in the US : airlines tickets, motels, …
I made a calculation when I went in the US, I needed to make a lot of hours to balance to cost of the airline.
Medres07 wrote:

crossing the channel to the Duxford Flying Legends Airshow this year

How was it for a young PPL? i would love to fly to an airshow and this one in particular.

LFOU, France

I’d spend the 5k proving to my wife/fiance/gf that flying would be a great family activity by flying trips not easily reachable by ground-based transportation – I did exactly that and so far it has been my best aviation investment

Last Edited by wleferrand at 25 Oct 21:38

wleferrand wrote:

I’d spend the 5k proving to my wife/fiance/gf that flying would be a great family activity by flying trips not easily reachable by ground-based transportation – I did exactly that and so far it has been my best aviation investment

That’s a really good idea. In the best case it works out as you’ve described. In the worst case, you find out that flying won’t be a family activity (not everything has to be) and that helps you figure out the kinds of planes and flying to aim for later on.

@ Jujupilote: it was quite straightforward.. you should reserve a slot in advance (through their website, be aware of the time difference) and they have extensive entry/exit procedure described on their website. I think between 50-100 aircraft visit so its quite interesting joining the circuit. At the end of the airshow you can take-off (get in line..) at around 18-18h30 local time (so 19h30 mainland time). My airport closes at 21h PM and I had 1h30 to fly so that was a bit tight, I landed 20h52. Another club member was back at 21h15 and had to pay +++ for extra opening hours.

Some impressions, do it and take some WW2/flying enthousiast with you!

EBKT, Belgium

Jujupilote wrote:

I highly recommend doing it as a crew of 2 pilots. It is so tiring to fly significantly everyday (for me anyway )

Definitely agree, where possible. At least have someone interested in aviation going with you, as they will typically be glad to help with cockpit tasks and listenign to teh radio for your callsign…
No primadonnas… they usually don’t make good flying partners.

wleferrand wrote:

I’d spend the 5k proving to my wife/fiance/gf that flying would be a great family activity by flying trips not easily reachable by ground-based transportation

That’s brilliant wleferrand.
I tell acquaintances what a beautiful thing it is to be 2 hours from Mali Losinj, or 2.5 hours from Dubrovnik (etc.) which makes a 3 day weekend in Croatia a real option. (It is an 8 hour drive from here with no traffic, which is never the case… so it’s usually like 9 hours or something, and that kills the 3 day weekend = nogo)

This usually makes fans of flying very quickly.

Sign in to add your message