Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is GP?

Just out of curiosity. I was looking at info at ENVA and came across the radio nav equipment. In my head (from 30 years ago) there were ILS, VOR and NDB Now it looks like the ILS has been replaced with a triplet of LOC, GP and DME

What exactly is a LOC? (compared with VOR and ILS) and what is GP? I have never heard of GP. Looking at the map they are at the same spots as the DMEs.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Glide Path? GP+LOC = ILS

When no offsets, DME, LOC, GP would be one the threshold

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 May 08:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Only the LOCs are at the threshold. The GP and the DME are at the same position, further in and offset. They are exactly at the touch down point though.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Sorry, yes GP/PAPI are on touchdown zones (TDZ)

I had the impression DME is always at the thresholds (TCH)? or can be anywhere but could be paired to read zero on active ILS threshold?

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 May 09:39

Glide Path transmitter.

DME Transmitters may or may not be co-located with the GP, which is the position which makes most sense. In some installations, the DME transmitters are in a different position than the GP.

LeSving wrote:

Only the LOCs are at the threshold.

The Localizer Antennae are located beyond the runway end of the relevant runway. Not at the threshold.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 06 May 09:42
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The Localizer Antennae are located beyond the runway end of the relevant runway. Not at the threshold

aha. When you mention it. The DME and GP is is located at the touch down point, but the LOC just outside the threshold is for 27, not 09

So what does GP stand for? Glide something I guess? Does LOC + GP = ILS ? I thought ILS was one unit with horizontal and vertical guidance. Why is LOC different form VOR ?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Caveat, all based on PPL + IR(R) knowledge – I know there’s more to it that I don’t know.

GP = Glide Path

LOC + GP is what’s commonly called ILS. There are approaches which are LOC(aliser)-only. It gets beyond my basic understanding to say exactly how it differs from VOR, but it’s much more sensitive and has a very different coverage area.

DMEs can be put at the threshold, but a common trick (in the UK at least) is to put them somewhere an equal distance from the two thresholds at either end of the same runway (for example 09 and 27) and “bias” them to read zero at the threshold: imagine a hemisphere centered on the DME position where the distance is zero.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Why is LOC different form VOR ?

Glide Path (or Glide Slope)

LOC has the same principal as VOR in the cockpit but outside cockpit LOC is directional while VOR is omnidirectional

- VOR: pure omnidirectional, the primary rotating signal is radiated from each individual omnidirectional antenna (36 or 48 of them?) with another secondary pulse on all antennas when the primary signal passes through the north, you can receive VOR everywhere but you need to set OBS on +/-5deg ranges
- LOC: two directional signals from 2 antennas and you measure phase difference along the runway axis, you can only receive LOC in direct coverage area +/-2.5deg range (and reverse runway in back-course BC LOC as well, unless it’s Germany where they explicitly “hide” the back-course LOC signal to make sure you don’t fly it consciously or unconsciously)

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 May 10:53

LeSving wrote:

So what does GP stand for? Glide something I guess? Does LOC + GP = ILS ?

Yes. Look at the wiki graphic I posted and you should see how it works.

The ILS has two independent systems (sometimes 3 if you add a DME).

The Localizer array, LOC , which gives horizontal guidance and which is located at the far end of the runway. Hence, it will continue to give horizontal guidance over the whole runway lenght, which i.e. is important in CAT III autoland operation, where the AP follows the localizer signal also after touchdown. The localizer defines one inbound track and is only capable of providing guidance for that one track and it’s opposite.

The Glidepath transmitter, GP, which gives vertical guidance and is located abeam the touchdown point.

And, if available, the DME transceiver, which provides distance to the threshold and which has replaced marker beacons, which before the age of DME gave two fixed distance markers from the runway.

A VOR is a totally different animal. It dissiminates a rotating signal, which allows the receiver to determine on which radial the current position is. The difference in functionality between VOR and LOC is the reason, LOC’s can only have specific frequencies so that the NAV receiver knows if it is dealing with a VOR or a LOC.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

An important practical difference between the LOC (be it as component of an ILS or standalone) and a VOR, is that when using a CDI or HSI:

• On a VOR, the displayed course deviation depends on the selected course (OBS). In particular, on a HSI, the selected VOR radial is in the direction shown on the HSI (in terms of left or right).
  • On a LOC, the selected course has NO EFFECT NOR INFLUENCE WHATSOEVER. It always shows deflection compared to the LOC centreline (which is usually the runway centreline). In particular, on an HSI, if the selected course is far from the nominal LOC course, the LOC centreline is on the OPPOSITE SIDE than where shown.

Ibra wrote:

you can only receive LOC in direct coverage area +/-2.5deg range

2.5° is full deflection, but LOC reception is guaranteed correct up to 35° off-course within 10 nmi and 10° off-course up to 18 nmi.

ELLX
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message