Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the point of hour building?

Maybe it’s time to mandate a few hours each year for all professional pilots to fly some GA VFR.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 21 Mar 17:43

what_next wrote:

Do you, by “MCC”, perhaps mean “MPL”?

Yes, my bad. Fingers faster than brain……

172driver wrote:

In the back of your mind you know that there is a reset button and nobody will get harmed if you f*ck up massively.

Aside from the risk of being sacked and your dream going down the drain (and possibly being stuck with a loan on your neck). Simulators can be quite stressful if your career is riding on the results. Have you ever heard of a cruise relief pilot and the associated requirements?

what_next wrote:

MCC=Multi Crew Concept

IIRC MCC is Multi-Crew Cooperation. It’s part of ATPL training and it’s required for multi-pilot type ratings (and probably operations).

Martin wrote:

IIRC MCC is Multi-Crew Cooperation. I

Yes, that’s correct. When I did mine over 15 years ago, it was called “CCC” with the last “C” standing for “concept”…

EDDS - Stuttgart

While the increase in minimum hours before the CPL has led to modular students doing their Multi/IR ahead of the CPL, I might suggest that on average this has led to extra hours in advanced training and may have been a false saving, especially if the student, usually straight out of a Tecnam fails to secure a first time IR pass.

If a student can start the CPL first because they have the required PIC hours and total time hours, I would recommend doing the Multi/IR last.

The CPL remains a good standard with examiners testing airmanship through a variety of flight and emergency scenarios.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

" right now I am flying with my third FO who comes straight from the flying school after an integrated ATPL course. With something like 150 to 200 hours total time. Each of those three was/is perfectly capable of handling the aeroplane and performing his duties"

And I’m sure they are. But I’m not looking for a cpl holder to do that. I’m looking for a cpl holder to fly a Cessna 150 to a point 150 miles away. Take some photos and return. Something that I would regard as a basic task.

Yet many are simply terrified of making such a flight. I would even go as far to say that the more money they have spent. The more prestigious the ATO that the less capable they are of making such a flight.

I suspect that now the airlines are well and truely hiring I’ll start to struggle to fill posts (which at 30 quid per flying hour and 450 hours a year is no surprise) But if we go back a few years I was unindated with applicants. I was also too soft as I never used to charge them for all the dual flights I had to do to get them upto speed. Which often included basic circuit detail. Yet airlines (and flying schools) charge them to look at their CV.

Probably the worst part has been when I’ve had tell some 20 year old wonder kid who has just spent 100 grand of their parents moneyto look eleswhere. As its got to the point where i simply cant afford to put any more of my time and money trying to get them upto speed.

Last Edited by Bathman at 31 Mar 08:46

Bathman wrote:

…which at 30 quid per flying hour and 450 hours a year is no surprise…

Not really. The task you describe (VFR aerial work on a CPL) is one of the classic “hours building” schemes of the olden days. Just enough money for a hot meal every other day (and lifelong poverty should they get seriously ill) but with a prospect of landing a proper job once they have accumulated 1000 or 1500 hours. Which will take them anything between 3 and 5 years that way, while all those years having to live from 10k yearly income (gross!). With no chance of paying back the loan they took for their training or inviting their girlfriend to a movie.

This is history. Over and out. Unless companies doing aerial work can offer the same pay (at least by order of magnitude), job security and career prospects as the larger employers in the sector, they will not find new pilots. Not even bad ones. The same applies to bizjet operators and similar GA employers. Quite a few fresh pilots do not even consider working in that field. Either airline or nothing.

Last Edited by what_next at 31 Mar 09:25
EDDS - Stuttgart
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message