Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When can an approach procedure be started at a point which is not a published IAF?

The KLN94 offers different options of IAFs, once you select the 12L GPS approach

Do you know why?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I really wanted to say ‘well, the cheapest one of course’ but bit off my tongue just in time

You made my day at my home airfield the landing on grass is free while on pavements you pay: it make sense to fly ILS following by circle to land, as long as you keep it tight it does not cost lot of fuel LOL

PS: joking of course, I got an annual landing card for both runways and muddy grass cleaning fee is not cheap neither

terrain separation is very trivial here

I don’t agree, but hey I am just a simple pilot with an IR who doesn’t want to get killed (ATC will never be responsible, and even if they are, I will be dead) so I follow only published procedures.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

so I follow only published procedures

The scenarios we talk about are cases where you fly the procedure by initiation an early descent when you are “cleared for approch”

You won’t hit terrain descending to TAA altitude within 25nm or 10nm at LFMT RNP after being cleared to IAF? or descending to FAF altitude at EGKB ILS after localizer established?

Terrain separation, is trivial if you fly the altitudes listed in the procedure after you are cleared for approach in this specific cases you are flying the procedure, however, ATC gets really mad if you trigger TCAS alert or loss of separation with IFR traffic under, so worth asking if you can descend

Why you can’t descend to 6800ft at 25nm from MT505 then 4800ft at 10nm from MT505 after being cleared for RNP with direct MT505 from the north? what would be the issue for your terrain separation?

For traffic separation, I understand only one aircraft is cleared for each IAF at each time and you can fly all levels under you (you still have to ask/notify ATC though likely someone else is on direct or vector under you and going elsewhere)

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Nov 15:31

Peter wrote:

I don’t know what TAA stands for

It means “Terminal Arrival Altitude” and is part of the published arrival into a PBN procedure.

From PANS-OPS volume I: “TAAs are associated with a PBN procedure […] An aircraft approaching the terminal area and intending to conduct a PBN approach shall track via the appropriate IAF associated with the procedure. The publication of TAAs […] provides obstacle clearance while tracking direct to an IAF.”

In the case of LFMT, MT505 is not marked on the Jepp chart as an IAF, but the fact that a TAA is published for it means that it is intended that you can start the procedure at that point.

isn’t that just MSA, and MSA is for emergency use only?

I don’t know that MSAs are for emergency use only. Indeed, PANS-OPS says that “Omnidirectional or sector arrivals can be provided taking into account minimum sector altitudes (MSA)” Certainly, relying on the MSA to fly below the appropriate procedure altitude is probably something you’d only do in an emergency.

This is a good reference on PBN procedures.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 14 Nov 17:31
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In the case of LFMT, MT505 is not marked on the Jepp chart as an IAF, but the fact that a TAA is published for it means that it is intended that you can start the procedure at that point.

It has TAA and accepted by the navigator as transition (same way as “vector to final”) but it is not listed as IAF in the plates !!

My question does pressing direct MT505 on loaded RNP procedure get you the magic?

I mean pressing direct MT505 on loaded approach will sequence it properly: CDI will get scalled, LPV will get annunciated, missed will be loaded at MAPT? or it’s like when you press direct FAF on laoded approach and then the whole RNP get toasted?

Should you press direct IAF GIGNA activate leg and eyeball it?

I never understood why some points are listed as navigator transition while not being an IAF plate (GTN750) and sometimes the plates IAF is not listed as transition in navigator (GNS430), is this a data quality issue or there is some good logic for it? in GTN, you get more choices…

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Nov 17:50

A typical European approach to simple things – a 198 page manual

The previous version was 200 pages.

MT505 is not marked on the Jepp chart as an IAF

Indeed.

Should you press direct IAF GIGNA activate leg and eyeball it?

I can’t work out all the grammar but there is no “activate” on Honeywell boxes.

Administrator

You have a very typical GPS, it does some of the job though

OK trying to talk in KLN way;

• Can you load approach RNAV12L?
  • Do direct IAF = LELKA?
  • Skip to leg = MT505-IT12L?
  • Fly some heading to MT505

What happens after flying MT505?

Now few questions, does that:

• Allow LNAV annunciation at FAF?
  • Allow missed approach at MAPT?

What if you do that in GNS? or GTN?

PS: I am not talking about SOP, just trying to understand how each navigation box internally work when ATC get you direct to one point in the procedure that is not an IAF (let’s assume it’s blue sky weather, fuel is free, no ATC…to avoid silly questions)

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Nov 19:08

Ibra, 17 posts here of which 8 are yours.

And I haven’t got a clue what you are talking about half the time. And I am told I am not the only one.

Can you make it more concise?

Administrator

I was trying to guess how KLN (or G430) work internally when you get direct MT505 by ATC (cleared for that RNP approach)

This was your quote earlier, I assumed you were struggling with that as well?

Then I got a shortcut to a waypoint partway down the IAP, MT505, for which there was no published profile

It would be useful if you can post (or anyone else) how such approach with that shortcut is flown on your GPS (their GPS)

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Nov 20:53
Sign in to add your message