Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

I am doing 30 out of the 40 hrs in my own plane, a Bonanza, with an IR instructor, and only 10 hrs in an actual ATO with their plane, which is a C182.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Hi JFW

I’d recommend going for the CB-IR. I completed mine earlier in the year, and while the theoretical knowledge is painful (unfort. I had to do the EASA IR theory as the CB IR theory was not published at the time, this is about 30% less in terms of content), the flying training is great fun and makes you a better pilot. I am/ was also a 30h/ y VFR pilot, but find that the usage will come – esp. if you fly in NW Europe. Only you can judge the costs and whether they justify the benefits, but I am happy to have done it and now fly IFR. I work at other stuff for a living so had to do weekends. Took me about ~9 months (could have probably done it in less).

The CB IR as pointed out elsewhere in this thread, is a “full IR” with all privileges. It is different as a route to the full IR only in that
- the theory is a bit simpler
- min 10 hours need to be flown with an ATO prior to the skills test (full EASA IR is 50 or 55 hours from memory).

However this is not a very relevant point, other than for those with IR(R) ratings in the UK that both have a lot of IMC hours, but can also fly to IR standard. (I had an IR (R) and lots of IMC hours, but still required 40-45 training hours to get to the IR standard, but maybe thats just me)

Hope that helps…

Also per Euroflyer, you do have some flexibility in your “non-ATO” hours with a CB-IR. This is relevant if
- You have access to a cheaper option (plane, instructor) than an ATO (I did about 25 hours of my 45 with a different instructor and my group aircraft)
- Your nearest ATO is really far away (mine was a 2 hour drive)

I see no use for an E-IR, not CB-IR either for that matter. But that basic IR (B-IR) looks more like something that could make sense. Some kind of CB-IR light? that allows you to land/depart in “moderate” IMC. What exactly will be the differences between them all (in short form).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@LeSving, are you seriously saying – in the same post – that you don’t know what the difference between these ratings is, and state that you don’t see use for two of them???

To all others
– With the IR, you can fly IFR in all airspace across Europe, and any approach to the system minimum (but ILS normally only to CAT I / 200ft)
– With the EIR, you can fly IFR in all airspace across Europe, but no approaches, instrument arrivals or instrument departures
– With the BIR, you can fly IFR in all airspace across Europe, including approaches, but with higher minima
– With the UK IMC Rating (IR(R), these days) you can fly IFR in UK airspace but not in Class A/B/C, and approaches to IR minimum but with visibility at least 1,500m

The “CB IR” is just a training route to get the IR which gives reasonable credit for prior experience and/or training so you don’t have to do the full theory BS and the full course at an ATO.

Please don’t anyone ask what BS means for the abbreviation list, in some places it is NSFW. You may, however, ask what NSFW means.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

You may, however, ask what NSFW means.

I must reluctantly admit I do not know that one…

LFPT, LFPN

Not Safe For Work

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

@LeSving, are you seriously saying – in the same post – that you don’t know what the difference between these ratings is, and state that you don’t see use for two of them???

Well, seriously Maybe I expressed myself a bit inaccurate. But, with a silver teaspoon and sugar on top: what exactly is B-IR in comparison to the other XX-IR? What exactly is the difference between CB-IR and “old fashioned” IR except the name?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I refer the honourable gentleman to the rest of my reply.

And ther is no CB-IR. it is just a different route to the same old fashioned IR. At an almost completely irrelevant micro level it omits some theory that you will have to do when you get your first type rating in a high performance aircraft.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

you will have to do when you get your first type rating in a high performance aircraft.

High Performance in the EASA sense, not FAA Don’t want to get those mixed up.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message