Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who knows EuroGA.org ?

In case anyone would like to print some out themselves, I have uploaded the file for the EuroGA flyer here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

OK… yes, we know some 90%+ of pilots really never do leave their own country, but only some of them will be held back by the language issue. Many are held back by now knowing how to. It’s not taught in the PPL.

Depends on the country I reckon. The larger the country, the less people will be in need of international flying. Swiss pilots would be very restricted if flying only in their own realm. Germans can go on for much longer, so can the French (and there I think you are right, a very large portion never leaves France exactly because of language issues).

The fact that many clubs and schools try hard to discourage longer excursions is however indeed something which should be addressed. How is it that still today the syllabus for a PPL is so overfilled with stuff nobody needs yet students are not taught how to actually do what their license is intended for.

The schools and clubs of course simply don’t want their members to fly too far away. I knew one, didn’t last long though, where you had to ask even to land at a different aerodrome. They did not have a lot of faith by the looks of it, as they were scared if their precious spamcans could brake down, who would fix them away from base. That is garbage. No car rental could survive like that.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Very much agreed with all of that, and my experience confirms it, @Mooney_Driver

Even south east UK to Le Touquet is a daunting piece of work for most PPLs, but once they do it, they see it’s an easy trip and great “value”.

Administrator

I am told that a flyer needs a QR code on it, so that’s my next job

Administrator

One detail I would modify: the current version states “the only European general aviation forum” which is not strictly correct, there are several forums in Europe dealing with G/A, at least partly. The only Pan-European &c would perhaps better indicate what makes this forum unique: having contributors and contributors covering most of Europe.

As for the QR-code: isn’t that only a concession to those too lazy and/or too stupid to actually read and type?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

As for the QR-code: isn’t that only a concession to those too lazy and/or too stupid to actually read and type?

Thank you Jan – which category do you put me in?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Why should i type when i don’t have to?

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 22 Sep 11:52

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The schools and clubs of course simply don’t want their members to fly too far away

How do you know? And what is “too far away”?

A friend went to Maroc for a two week holiday with a club aircraft.

LSZK, Switzerland

IME, here in the UK, the schools would normally load each plane (on a foreign fly-out) with an instructor. That served two jobs:

• each flight was maximally billed (you sat a pre-PPL in the LHS) as rental + instruction
  • the wx decision was made by an instructor, so very unlikely a plane would be stranded abroad (a plane stranded in N France, with the pilot home by Ryanair, is a massive logistical hassle)

But, as you show, schools/“clubs” vary…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

with the pilot home by Ryanair, is a massive logistical hassle

… entirely paid for by the pilot who didn’t deliver the chartered plane in a school/club that operates under a policy like this:

Peter wrote:

each flight was maximally billed (you sat a pre-PPL in the LHS) as rental + instruction

Entirely not the case at any outfit I know and certainly not the ones I am a customer/member of, because…

.Peter wrote:

But, as you show, schools/“clubs” vary…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message