Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your percentage of cross-country time

Peter wrote:

…that AFAIK there isn’t any EASA license or rating that requires any x/c time…

The license itself not, but most class- and typeratings require cross-country time upon revalidation. See for example this examiner report form for revalidation of non-complex single-pilot class or typeratings: here (That form will look a little different in different countries but the contents is the same).

EDDS - Stuttgart

Aviathor wrote:

Are you sure that’s still the case? Do you have the reference?

Yes Here, point 4.4.1.c but it’s only for Annex II aircraft. Before taking off, an operational flight plan is required for all IFR flights and for VFR flights further than 50 NM from the start point.

So, flying an RV, VFR or IFR, “cross country” does not exist, you have to follow BSL D. Flying a Cessna, you have to follow Part NCO

Last Edited by LeSving at 05 Aug 18:09
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

what_next wrote:

See for example this examiner report form for revalidation of non-complex single-pilot class or typeratings

A route sector is IMHO not necessarily a cross-country-flight, see definition in FCL.010 – and the sector requirement does apply only to ME-class- and to type ratings anyway.
Or are you referring to something else?

Last Edited by tschnell at 05 Aug 18:14
Friedrichshafen EDNY

tschnell wrote:

“Cross-country’ means a flight between a point of departure and a point of arrival following a pre-planned route, using standard navigation procedures”

This doesn’t specify that point of departure and point of arrival cannot be the same…

Anyways, out of my 47 hrs TT about 17 hours are cross country, so some 35%. I have 0 hrs of XC since getting the license, both of my flights since then were A to A bimbles.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I’ll have very few cross-country flights on that definition. I allow about two hours for a flight to a refueling airfield 60 NM away, and fly at 100 – 110 kts, avoiding weather and looking at the scenery. Not pre-planned, not using standard navigation techniques.
90+% are more than 50 NM from home airfield, even if I return there without an away landing.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

By hours, I probably fly 50% local flying. For me, the attraction of flying other than the planes themselves is the three dimensional aspect… In other words going up and down and flying around terrain. Locally in the US I can fly to several local airports in a day following terrain, practicing landings, visiting friends in their hangars at other airports and it’s fun. Other times we might head off to a more distant location and that’s fun too, plus my wife prefers going places, but for me the enroute part is generally a bit boring in comparison to the departure and arrival.

That said, I flew a (barely, 60 NM) cross country today in the puddle jumper. 2.1 hrs logged, there and back…. An RV flying friend took off behind me for both legs and was waiting for me at the end of both legs, having taken a longer route and done some aerobatics on the way!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Aug 22:02

I kept track of 50nm+ xc flights because I thought zone needed 50h of those to begin CB IR training. Glad to know it is useless, but it’s still nice to know.
I have about 55 h out of 220 total → 25 .
I have to say I insisted to get these hours, making burger and other kinds of trips from Paris to increase them. It was so slow (due to weather, acft availibility and little free time) ! It took 3 years after my PPL to get those, thanks to my US trip (22h xc) and the Portugal one (14,5h xc). Otherwise, I would have taken 6-7 years.
I guess the average french club renter-pilot is closer to 10
To know more about the reasons, see the thread “clubs holding GA”

LFOU, France

Cant recall last flight that did not involve an away landing.

For the last 10 years, when my family situation has demanded that I stay close to home: only between 10-20% trips are x/c, and most trips are under 125 NM. I do miss touring, but there is still great variety in flying: different aircraft, different students with very different challenges, and different ratings etc to teach.
In the years before I started my FI training, and excluding the year I had my IFR rating, it was about 90-95%, with the 5-10% being the annual proficiency check, checkouts on new types and occasional sight-seeing trips with friends and family.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

95 % cross country. In winter time I do sometimes local flights around my airfield up to one hour of flight time just to keep the plane flying, the instruments working and to protect the engine from corrosion. Last winter I had to add one local flight with guests , however the children were bored

Berlin, Germany
Sign in to add your message