Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zone Transit Strasbourg

On Friday I am flying with a couple of friends to Colmar. My flying day will be Schwaebisch Hall to either Speyer or Mannheim City to pick up a friend of mine, then off to Colmar. The return legs would be the exact opposite. Looking at the most direct route it takes me overhead Strasbourg. Does anyone have any experience advice on this route flying VFR? Minimum crossing levels? Probability of getting the clearance? Etc. I will probably be able to achieve FL80 on the way down, as it is looking like a warm day, and I have had a couple of issues getting higher in those conditions on a MTOW departure in the past.

I am hoping that it will be ok, as Strasbourg is not that busy. The alternative that I have is to route over Phalsbourg as this would keep me OCAS then attempt the get the short cut.

It will be my first trip to Colmar, but have heard the ATC there is really good. So my plan, regardless of the en-route, would be to approach via HO (Houssen) and then ask for a straight in approach.

Edited for typos from “autocorrect”, credit to Steve Jobs :)

Last Edited by italianjon at 18 Jun 06:10
EDHS, Germany

Just fly direct to your destination. Call Strasbourg in time and say your position, DCT and altitude. In 90% of cases, they will just say “transit spproved” and no more until you call leaving their frequency. In the other 10% of cases, they might ask to fly a couple of headings to deconflicz you from any inbounds or outbounds. Strasbourg must be the most relaxed and GA-friendly ATC station in Germany.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 Jun 07:02
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks Bosco. So Germany does the APP service for Strasbourg – Learn something new everyday :)

EDHS, Germany

The other way around, Strasbourg does the APP service for Germany (e.g. Karlsruhe Baden EDSB). Switzerland does it for the south west. I am not aware of any case where Germany provides ATC services for areas beyond its state border, with the exception of the upper airspace center in Karlsruhe of course.

That does make more sense, which is why I was slighty surprised. Strasbourg seems the busiest airport in that “Cluster” so it would be better operationally.

But you may on the verge of being “out of date”… I hear DFS are bidding for UK Tower contracts, and also circling the shares of the “Airline Group” of NATS again.

EDHS, Germany

First DFS would have to train its staff in the correct phraseology to deny 80% of the pilot requests for traffic information etc.

Knowing a fair few people on the otherside of that argument, I sit on the fence and watch it like I am watching a comedy. There are a few stories the other way as well.

EDHS, Germany

Be aware that DFS navigation service charges may apply.

Last Edited by at 18 Jun 09:09

Be aware that DFS navigation service charges may apply.

Seriously? I thought that only applied for ADR services. I thought any enroute came under ICAO that anything under 2 tons or whatever is exempt. How much could they be?

EDHS, Germany
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message