Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA 13-14 May 2017 Fly-In Roskilde EKRK / Copenhagen

Peter, I have not yet participated in a EuroGA fly in so I don’t know what the expectations and standards are for the “main meet-up”.
So let me know what to arrange and I will see what I can do on that.

EKRK, Denmark

It may for example be possible to organise parking (parking is another big issue, repeatedly) at a local aeroclub and that definitely needs local-language phone calls.

(my bold)

Has been covered in the previous posts, but on a more general note: This observation from Southern European destinations (most notably, Italy) cannot be applied to the Nordics at all IMHO. In fact, I find cities like Copenhagen and also Amsterdam (and probably others I haven’t visited yet) curious in that it seems the local language is only spoken by a “minority”. In many shops and cafès, English is spoken naturally even among the staff.

I would be very surprised if you ever experienced any disadvantages due to non-local-language speak in this part of the world…

Also, consider this post a preliminary statement of interest. I’m investigating the idea of combining this with a longer trip around the area, like I did previous year in Carcassonne.

Further, if anyone is interested to go but not self-fly from the Western parts of Germany, feel free to get in touch and discuss options to join.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Sure. English is taught for at least 5 years in school so most people in DK understand and speak the language.

EKRK, Denmark

mmgreve wrote:

EKCH is really only if you would want to tick the box. I had a quick play with their calculator, and it looks like £500 to the airport before you pay for handling…

From what I have heard from some locals, EKCH is technically possible, but expensive (see above) and you will get a slot at something like 11PM so they can accomodate you in the flow. EKRK has all the facilities though, so really only a bucket list thing.
Worth noting for those who might continue on their trip, crossing the Copenhagen TMA above EKCH is usually not a problem IFR, but VFR they will ask you to stay outside or below.

ESMK, Sweden

Peter, I have not yet participated in a EuroGA fly in so I don’t know what the expectations and standards are for the “main meet-up”.
So let me know what to arrange and I will see what I can do on that.

The expectations are low and standards are even lower This is not a €250 type specific “migration” event

Normally we meet up for a dinner on the Saturday. Somebody up there needs to organise a restaurant, having checked out a few to see if they can accommodate some approximately known number of people at a short notice.

We create a group on the Telegram app which anybody interested can join. This is used to organise everything. It works brilliantly. It is like Whatsapp but works a lot better. People use it to meet up for lunch, trips, whatever. You can get it for android, ios or windows and it can be installed on any number of devices and auto-syncs across them. People use it for all kinds of banter

A lot of people can fly only at weekends and these arrive Saturday and depart Sunday. The others tend to arrive Friday (that also reduces the wx risk) so we often have a dinner on Friday evening too. Departures are normally Sunday or Monday.

It’s all very casual. Normally some 1/3 cancel at the last minute but that is what you get when you are not taking money from people. Some background threads e.g. here

Usually somebody prepares some VFR chart sections and airport approach plates and puts them on dropbox for the group.

Any group photos taken get put on dropbox but only for those who were actually there.

Often, if somebody can’t get a plane, there is a spare seat with somebody else. The Telegram group helps with that too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m planning to join together with @hfl. Arriving Saturday 13th of May and returning Sunday afternoon.

Len

I’m planning Friday (night) arrival and Sunday departure. Not sure about which plane as it will depend if I have my MEIR or not.

Last Edited by Noe at 11 Jan 11:53

Peter wrote:

The expectations are low and standards are even lower This is not a €250 type specific “migration” event

Got it. We will not go to Hotel D’Angleterre then.

Should the main event/dinner then just be in Roskilde or do you guys want to see Copenhagen?

EKRK, Denmark

People normally book their own hotels but if a group stays in the same one that is nice.

Past feedback I recall is that many prefer a reasonable one. We had one in Calvi in 2014 which was cheap and basic and some were critical of it. I thought it was fine…

Personally, for 3 nights and 3 people, airb&b wins by miles, if you can find one. I go for 100€ a night or so total, to get a really nice place.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Michael_J wrote:

Should the main event/dinner then just be in Roskilde or do you guys want to see Copenhagen?

In my experience hotels in downtown Copenhagen are quite expensive (minimum 200 €/night), especially because that week-end seems to be a holiday.

Roskilde may be a little cheaper (150€/night), but at the “expense” of a train ride.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message