Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

600 Kg Aircraft

Airborne_Again wrote:

so good that I doubt the figure is correct.

You are better than me spotting that, it’s max 1:17, no more than B747, P51 or PC12
Mustangs, Pilatus, Queens can fly tigher circuits !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

ormazad wrote:

I flew a CTLS with 600 kg MTOW , I know what i’m talking about

I said not necessarily

What’s cool with 100 hp and 450 kg is 0.22 hp/kg
600 kg makes it 0.16. Going from 600 to 450 you get an increase of 38%, and that is a lot!

A C-172 weighs around 750 kg empty (but varies), it has 180 hp. With two persons and 100 l of fuel, the weight is about 1000 kg, which is 0.18 hp/kg. Slightly better than a 600 kg UL, but considerably worse than a 450 kg UL. This translates directly to climb rate and acceleration.

The thing is, with 600 kg MTOW comes lots of gadgetry, upholstery etc, perhaps also a bit stronger structure. While a 450 kg UL has an empty weight of 280 kg, a 600 kg version has 350+. The payload has increased from, let’s say 180 kg, to 250, which is a lot and makes it a true two seat aircraft instead of a 1 1/2 seat. The price you pay is going from a light and powerful aircraft to a slightly heavy and mediocre performing aircraft. This is true, unless the hp also is increased. 120-130 hp would be more suitable, or at least a CS prop.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Airborne_Again wrote:

So “not necessary” implies “not permitted”. What logic….

exactly. We all can’t believe it but someone has written that an autopilot is not necessary for ULs as they are vehicles for carrying out sport and to this extent, that ’not necessary" has become “not permitted” by the German authorities…..

EDL*, Germany

LeSving wrote:

The thing is, with 600 kg MTOW comes lots of gadgetry, upholstery etc, perhaps also a bit stronger structure. While a 450 kg UL has an empty weight of 280 kg, a 600 kg version has 350+. The payload has increased from, let’s say 180 kg, to 250, which is a lot and makes it a true two seat aircraft instead of a 1 1/2 seat. The price you pay is going from a light and powerful aircraft to a slightly heavy and mediocre performing aircraft. This is true, unless the hp also is increased. 120-130 hp would be more suitable, or at least a CS prop.

I wouldn’t call the Virus SW 100 a mediocre performing aircraft…. With it’s electrically controlled constant speed prop, the Virus is an excellent performer…130Knots TAS with more than sufficient payload to have full tanks, two up plus baggage….

EDL*, Germany

Is it possible to permanently base a non-D UL in Germany?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is it possible to permanently base a non-D UL in Germany?

If you’re not german resident, yes. But if you live in Germany or your main residence is Germany, then LuftVZO (Luftverkehrszulassungsordnung) § 99 ‘Kennzeichen und Versicherungsnachweis ausländischer Luftfahrzeuge’ is pretty clear:

[..]

(2) Ausländische motorgetriebene Luftsportgeräte, die von einem deutschen oder von einem ausländischen Staatsangehörigen mit ständigem Wohnsitz in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland betrieben werden, bedürfen der Muster- und Verkehrszulassung.

Foreign motor powered air sport machines (ultralights), which are operated by a german or foreign national with permanent residency in Germany are required to be approved and registered in Germany.

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

I wouldn’t call the Virus SW 100 a mediocre performing aircraft…. With it’s electrically controlled constant speed prop, the Virus is an excellent performer…130Knots TAS with more than sufficient payload to have full tanks, two up plus baggage….

Yes, but I’m not talking about the Virus SW in particular. I know that is an excellent aircraft. I am talking about the concept of moving 450 kg of aircraft with 100 hp vs moving 600 kg of aircraft with 100 hp – in general. 450/100 gives you lots of “surplus power” compared with a C-172, 600/100 does not. Adding only 20 hp will make a huge difference.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Reviving this topic, the friend of mine who owns the Pipistrel Virus SW 100 600kg PtF aircraft is now putting it up for sale….. If you want to find it, look in the classifieds. Got any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask…

Oh, as some were asking: for an aircraft with 600kg and 100HP Rotax, at MTOW from sea level, rate of climb at 80knots TAS is around 1300fpm…. Cruise speed was typically around 130knots TAS, 22L consumption Super.

So if you’re looking for a modern aircraft which is fast and economical but doesn’t have the restrictions of microlights, whilst not requiring certified parts, this could be the one for you. If you’re shorter than 6 feet, that is. That’s my only gripe with the aircraft – if you’re taller than that, it gets cramped….

It can also be used for ab initio training….

@Peter: if this post isn’t acceptable, please delete….

EDL*, Germany

Reviving the topic,

France will not accept a ULM under the national rules above 500/525kg with parachute MTOW. There are other restrictions as well.

DGAC has put a blanket exemption for all ULM from permits in le salon mondial de Blois this year…arguably, it means there is really nothing why such restriction is around

PS: if anyone around Blois on Sunday September 4th, let me know

https://mondialulm.fr/en/

Blois Exemption 600kg ULM

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Aug 12:11
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Indeed, maybe a good sign of things to come.

On the other hand, they have just rather recently decided to limit ULMs to 525kgs. They will have a hard to changing this so quickly. Hence, I don’t think the general situation will change all too soon.

In fact, when an individual flies his 600kg-ULM to and around France without the permit, that is one thing, and DGAC will likely never care. However, when it is such a major event, they cannot let everybody fly in “illegally” and not do anything. Hence, they needed this dispensation…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message