Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

61.75 piggyback FAA PPL can be obtained via Zoom

Ibra wrote:

FAA IR has clear advantage even if you are not flying N-reg outside UK: you can let FCL IR expire without having to do ATO training/course, if your FAA IR is valid (it’s easy to maintain 6 approaches if you have IR or IMCr or get IPC with CFI-I), then you only need to find IRE to do skill-test and signoff your FCL IR

Doesn’t the underlying license/rating have to be valid for the 61.75 to also be valid?

EIMH, Ireland

@boscomantico thanks for the information. I knew that, I just used the term “validation” in this thread because the forumites will know what I mean, and it’s short and nice. Be assured, I won’t use that term when talking to US officials.

I also know that I need the verification letter, and I obtained one two years ago when a trip to Anchorage was scheduled. So the card was sent to the Anchorage FSDO, and as I understand it, sent back/binned/destroyed after a year, because I never showed up.

My question now is: If I apply for a new verification letter, which FSDO would do a Zoom/Teams/etc. meeting to finalize the process and mail me the plastic card to Germany? Or did I get something completely wrong and the Online process is only possible for alterations of an already existing 61.75?

Last Edited by CharlieRomeo at 04 Jun 08:37
EDXN, ETMN, Germany

zuutroy wrote:

Doesn’t the underlying license/rating have to be valid for the 61.75 to also be valid?

Yes, but you can have a standalone FAA IR with a 61.75. Then that IR remains valid even if the IR on the underlaying license lapses.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

zuutroy wrote:

Yes licence has to be valid but FCL PPL are valid for life

For ratings, this has been debated for ages but as it stands now: you can fly N-reg PA46T turbine IFR on FAA61.75 + FAA SEL + FAA IR without even holding the underlying FCL SET and with expired FCL IR as long as your EASA medical is valid, valid 24m BFR and current 6/6m, remember the FAA61.75 is a licence with standalone FAA ratings not “validation of FCL ratings”…

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jun 08:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

CharlieRomeo wrote:

Or did I get something completely wrong and the Online process is only possible for alterations of an already existing 61.75?

Search for yourself here,

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

As I said in my post you have “verification letter” & “FAA61.75 issuance”, it’s two steps, you can ask for another verification letter, it won’t alter anything as you don’t have an existing FAA61.75, but search for your name, you could be surprised

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jun 08:53

By Zoom would be a big improvement: it isn’t necessarily easy even in the US. For my second 61.75 (when licence numbers changed format from JAA to EASA) the local FSDO was too busy and passed me to the local DPE… who wasn’t very local. Including the wait it was a 5 or 6 hour round trip, with a screaming baby on the return :/

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Yes, but you can have a standalone FAA IR with a 61.75. Then that IR remains valid even if the IR on the underlaying license lapses.

@Airborne_Again, is my understanding correct that to have a standalone FAA IR or a 61.75 FAA IR I have to pass the theory exams that available only in the US?

EGTR

Capitaine wrote:

By Zoom would be a big improvement: it isn’t necessarily easy even in the US. For my second 61.75 (when licence numbers changed format from JAA to EASA) the local FSDO was too busy and passed me to the local DPE… who wasn’t very local. Including the wait it was a 5 or 6 hour round trip, with a screaming baby on the return :/

Indeed it woudl have been easy by Zoom even before CV19 crisis, I tried FSDO first but getting an appointment and acess to federal buildings in Queens is not a smooth ride (I have a fishy name & look ), I end up with DPE, 20min walk from my workplace, all paperwork done at Fox News NYC studios very late in the day and charged less than a Benji, it was a good deal overall: he shared a nice list of restaurants around the corner, offered an SR22 demo and I later used him to rent aircrafts in NYC for burger runs

A friend of mine went all the hassle to go to USA in middle of CV19 restrictions last year, he got his FAA61.75 issued by Zoom session from his quaratine hotel in Arizona not far away from FSDO, as it was closed to visitors on his arrival, he is touring the world now with his ticket ;)

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jun 09:27

arj1 wrote:

Airborne_Again, is my understanding correct that to have a standalone FAA IR or a 61.75 FAA IR I have to pass the theory exams that available only in the US?

That’s my understanding, but many people understand this better than I do.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

To get the FAA IR, you have these options:

• hold a standalone FAA PPL (or CPL), do the written IR test, do the oral IR test, and do the IR checkride – here is what I did
  • hold a 61.75 piggyback FAA PPL, do the written IR test, do the oral IR test, and do the IR checkride
  • hold a 61.75 piggyback FAA PPL and an ICAO IR, and do the written “Foreign Pilot IR” test

1 needs an FAA medical. 2 and 3 do not need an FAA medical but need the ICAO medical (typically the UK or EASA Class 2)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message