Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

91UL / UL91 / 96UL / UL96 / UL98 etc (merged thread)

und UL91 is 10 EuroCents per liter in favour of UL91. Total expects that differential, currently ca. 4%, to increase once UL91 sells in higher volumes and also the logistics improve.

Oh really? I purchase both 100LL and UL91 and find that the opposite is the reality.

Yes, really! Prices in Bonn-Hangelar, which according to the Total guy is currently the only field in Germany offering UL91, are 2,44 EUR/liter for UL91 and EUR 2,55 EUR/liter for Avgas. Whether this differential will continue, become greater or melt away, who knows. I note that at Booker in the UK, as per the website, prices for UL91 and Avgas are only GBP 0,01/liter apart.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

It's just £0.02 cheaper at Gloucester but I think Booker and Gloucester were subsidizing UL91 before to get it selling. We will use it because as Dave mentioned it it better for the engine.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

Since a couple of days TOTAL fuel station in Koblenz EDRK is selling its UL91.

Avgas 100 LL 2,52 €/ltr.

Avgas UL 91 2,41 €/ltr.

Like in the UK the price difference is not that much (11 cents).

That tells a lot about the arguments of the Oil Industry for some twenty years or so that the higher price of Avgas in comparison to Auto Premium Super (circa 65-85 cents) was due to unavoidable separate production facilities and logistic means because of the lead contents.

EDxx, Germany

That tells a lot about the arguments of the Oil Industry for some twenty years or so that the higher price of Avgas in comparison to Auto Premium Super (circa 65-85 cents) was due to unavoidable separate production facilities and logistic means because of the lead contents.

I suspect those "oil industry" arguments were actually postings on pilot forums, by the usual characters who like to throw in smart-arse one-liners which "suggest" that they actually know something...

I have never read anything that was actually said by anybody actually working in the business which suggests that avgas is anything less than a good and valued revenue source.

Recent indications by a Polish refiner suggest that the European avgas market is worth some hundreds of millions € a year, so washing out a pipe to remove a bit of avgas from it is hardly going to figure on the operating costs if you then spend a few months churning out the next stuff.

The whole industry is already geared up for the QA procedures, with a yellow jacket on every corner

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Since a couple of days TOTAL fuel station in Koblenz EDRK is selling its UL91.

Landshut EDML is scheduled to start offering UL91 on 20. November.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

What is happenening (at major TOTAL-supplied german GA airfields at least) is that 91UL replaces the Mogas that was previously on offer, thus upsetting a lot of owners, flying schools and flying clubs. Most of their aircraft (again, if D-reg.) were just fine with TOTAL's Mogas (which is known to be ethanol-free, anyway).

They now all see a price hike from ~2 Euros to 2,40 Euros for their fuel, with no benefit whatsoever.

Now that's progress...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You should be happy to have UL91 now. The whole reason for this exercise is to make money, isn't it?

United Kingdom

"flying schools and flying clubs. Most of their aircraft (again, if D-reg.) were just fine with TOTAL's Mogas"

Which doesn't really effect the UK as the use of Mogas is effectively banned from the flight training fleet in the UK.

Also where I am based there is only two fuel points (both self serve credit card facilities) one with Avgas and the other with Jet A1.

So to offer UL91 would be a significant cost outlay to upgrade the facility or get a separate bowser. Either way I could never see them recuperating their outlay

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Warter Aviation/Statoil is starting to sell UL91 in the Nordic countries. One GA airfield will from this summer have UL91 as their main fuel, 100LL will only be found on barrels. If this spreads to other airfields remains to be seen, but I would consider it highly likely. 100UL is still far into the future, 2020 at the earliest and it will most likely require STC for every type of aircraft. Hjelmco is also selling their own 91/96 UL (not the same as UL91, but essentially equal by practical standards) and has been doing so for several years in Sweden already.

Mogas is a bad thing for aviation, technically at least even though it is cheaper than avgas. Mogas has ethanol, oxidants and aromatic compounds in unspecified quantities. What you fill in your tank in the morning from one station may be OK, what you fill in your tank in the evening from another station may corrode your tanks and fuel lines or cause vapor lock. Lead is a bad thing. UL91 is a good thing, it has all the benefits of avgas and the benefits of mogas. It can be used by more than 90% of the flying fleet (non-jet GA and ultralight).

Why should more than 90% of the flying population fill up their tanks with fuel that are either bad for the environment or bad for the engine/airframe/safety when they can fill it up with UL91, which is the best fuel we can get? 100LL and mogas in 90% of the fleet does not make sense, it’s more of an old habit than anything else.

Price is important. Let those who need 100LL pay for 100LL. The rest of us can use UL91.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message