Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A good runway incursion video

This was Barcelona but could easily happen at so many places, even without ATC being hard to understand…

Last Edited by Peter at 08 Jul 11:11
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What would happen if it was IMC and the landing aircraft was on autoland? Would the landing aircraft (or even the taxying aircraft) be given any kind of ACAS warning?

I recall an incident years ago where in very low vis, one aircraft incorrectly gave it’s holding point location to ATC, and ATC cleared a plane to land, ultimately causing a massive collision.And I believe ground radar and betting tracking of aircraft movement was the solution that was implemented at various international airports.

Long thread over at PPrune. Scary, though not necessarily what it seems.

Would the landing aircraft (or even the taxying aircraft) be given any kind of ACAS warning?

No, that is inhibited below a certain altitude (900ft during approach), otherwise it would be triggered by every other aeroplane on the ground.

I recall an incident years ago where in very low vis…

This probably was the collision at Milano Linate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linate_Airport_disaster

EDDS - Stuttgart

Prob90 mostly drivel, on past record…

The biggest was Tenerife.

Last Edited by Peter at 08 Jul 11:54
Administrator

This probably was the collision at Milano Linate: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linate_Airport_disaster

That looks like it.

So in this case, on the face of it, in IMC this would have been a collision? I appreciate why TCAS would be disarmed.

You can see the landing 767 needs about 20 seconds from wheelspin to the actual intersection – more than enough time for the offending traffic to cross i think.

My TAS605 does warn of traffic sitting on the ground – so long as the traffic is within the configured height band which on my system is 3000ft below me to 3000ft above me.

And yes it is slightly annoying to get the warning on every final approach when a transponding aircraft is sitting at the holding point

Whether such a warning would be relevant if breaking out from OVC002 (CAT1 ILS) I don’t know. Probably not since a SEP can easily go around from 200ft.

However IMHO the crossing aircraft was not looking to see if anybody was landing, and in that case they might have entered the runway with the landing aircraft on very short final, and then you probably will get a collision.

I am sure Tenerife was the biggest one on the ground, but maybe it isn’t counted as a “runway incursion”?

Last Edited by Peter at 08 Jul 13:27
Administrator

My TAS605 does warn of traffic sitting on the ground…

TCAS displays the traffic on the ground with altitude (relative or absolute depending on setup) but no warnings will be generated. Resolution is not good enough to tell whether the targets are on the runway or on the taxiway.

I am sure Tenerife was the biggest one on the ground, but maybe it isn’t counted as a “runway incursion”?

No, that was a takeoff (attempt) without clearance. The other aircraft had entered the runway as requested by the controller.

EDDS - Stuttgart

You can see the landing 767 needs about 20 seconds from wheelspin to the actual intersection – more than enough time for the offending traffic to cross i think.

ATC thought the same, I believe the chap was cleared to cross…, and called the go-around “unnecessary”…

But that only works until the crossing aircraft blows a tire, or comes to a halt for some other reason. I do not continue an approach below a safe go-around altitude unless I can stop ahead of anything currently on the runway, and that includes land-after clearances. I had three blown tires so far…

Biggin Hill
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message