Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A little VFR trip Shoreham EGKA to Exeter EGTE

I think most of the GA is parked on the north side of the airfield. Not sure how much there is though.

Its a great place – I also grew up near there, and fly in every few months.

EGEO

I never grew up and don’t ever want to

It’s much better this way… you get a chance to play with really expensive toys and you can buy them when you want them!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Amen!

While flying itself must be taken very seriously, we sure don’t need to take ourselves too seriously… – sometimes you see these long fights on boards with people comparing performance numbers endlessly & getting into useless arguments about my carburator being better than your fuel injector. Who cares. We’re all just here to have a good time & enjoy the challenges of flying…

The flight was uneventful (didn’t get any pics on that leg) with the RNAV 08 approach to get down through the clouds.

One of this “VFR” flights with an IAP procedure to get down through the cloud then…:-)

Last Edited by flybymike at 25 Apr 15:04
Egnm, United Kingdom

I’ve been to Exeter a few times to revalidate my SPA IR with Airways Flight Training. Don’t need to anymore because my SPA IR can be revalidated by experience.

Last Edited by chrisparker at 25 Apr 15:51
Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

One of this “VFR” flights with an IAP procedure to get down through the cloud then…:-)

Yes … a VFR flight, VMC on top, and when you arrive at an airport with an IAP, you ask to fly the IAP.

100% legal.

Administrator

100% legal.

On one island on this planet… It’s great and I’m envious.

One caveat: the IAP must be in airspace G otherwise you need an IFR flight plan, possible AFIL’ed (which is what you’d do in the rest of the world). In Germany post SERA I would ask for AFIL IFR for cloud break. Before SERA they would question my decision making, now they would have to keep that to themselves because AFIL is within my rights.

Last Edited by achimha at 25 Apr 19:58

What exactly would be illegal in Germany about

• climbing to VMC on top (let’s say you maintain VMC doing that)
  • flying VMC on top
  • asking the destination for an IAP to get back down

I would think the last point would need a request for an IFR clearance. That’s how most of Europe (e.g. France, for sure) works. The UK just does it implicitly, in Class G anyway. But I have asked Zadar and Dubrovnik for an ILS, on a VFR flight, or after explicitly cancelling IFR…

Administrator

Nothing illegal, just requires an IFR flight plan which means extensive exchange of information on the frequency. I don’t know if DFS can do it with an abbreviated flight plan. I know that Eurocontrol expect a plan to be filed in this case and they hate the ANSPs for doing these things inside their territory without involving Eurocontrol.

But I have asked Zadar and Dubrovnik for an ILS, on a VFR flight, or after explicitly cancelling IFR…

They were probably under the impression you were VMC all the time.

You always need a FP for any flight in CAS, VFR or IFR.

In the UK, and lots of other places, you can file an abbreviated one over the radio, and even if you are IFR there is absolutely no Eurocontrol involvement. Normally this is for crossing a bit of Class D. There is no meaningful long distance flight possible in UK Class D (small bits of it, not joined up). The only time there is a Eurocontrol involvement is for “proper enroute IFR”, which in the UK is practically-speaking Class A, and it is almost impossible to do any Class A over the air (yes I know some have managed it but I never have).

There has been much discussion over the years what are the precise legalities of turning up at some airport and asking for an IAP. I have heard various stuff…

• illegal if you are solo (no safety pilot) and in VMC – from an instructor at Manston
  • you need an instrument rating even in VMC, or an instructor in the RHS
  • has to be an IFR flight (VMC or IMC)
Administrator
Sign in to add your message