Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A little VFR trip Shoreham EGKA to Jersey EGJJ

Flying SW past the Isle of Wight

I filed Alderney as a waypoint and flew over it to get it into the movie camera (movie to follow)

Jersey

Final, runway 26

The Aeroclub. I had asked ATC for hard parking but they didn’t have any, so I asked ATC how much it would be elsewhere and they came back with an outrageous 3 figure amount from an outfit called GAMA… so I did my best to taxi up onto the grass carefully On departure, no way would I taxi off the grass as it is downhill and a perfect candidate for a prop strike as the nose gear compresses, but the downhill slope made it possible to pull the plane off the (very rough) grass onto the tarmac

There is a nice walk into St Aubin – about 1 hour, along what used to be a railway track

We got a bus into St Helier which has a lot more going on

The place is hard to recognise since say 30 years ago, with so much new development in every direction

Back to depart

Alderney (I think) in the distance

Jersey Zone clears VFR flights to Cap de la Hague which is not only in French airspace but is inside a P area! However the P area goes up to only 3900ft and they seem to make sure you will be above that. We were at 5000ft

The French coast and the Cap de la Hague nuclear installation (with the P area around it)

Back home, near Arundel, with the castle visible in th distance

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

On departure, no way would I taxi off the grass as it is downhill and a perfect candidate for a prop strike as the nose gear compresses, but the downhill slope made it possible to pull the plane off the (very rough) grass

WTF dont they Tarmac the whole parking area and charge everyone an extra £10 until it is paid for, or maybe they are quietly trying to put off visitors?

On my last visit I considered buying a lawnmower at B&Q and donating it to the aeroclub.

Nice photos Peter! Do you have to file a FP when flying from mainland UK to the channel islands?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Thanks

Do you have to file a FP when flying from mainland UK to the channel islands?

I don’t know but I filed one anyway: EGKA GWC ORIST ALD EGJJ which at 5400ft is OCAS all the way except you have to get a clearance from Jersey Zone to enter their huge Class D which goes all the way down to the surface.

WTF dont they Tarmac the whole parking area and charge everyone an extra £10 until it is paid for, or maybe they are quietly trying to put off visitors?

Presumably the usual reason: everybody expects somebody else to pay for it This is how most of UK GA works:

The landing and parking came to only £13.

Cambridge offers hard parking for an extra £30 for the day, which is obviously a great money making scheme but is reasonable for the occassional visit where you don’t want a prop strike risk.

I read a report recently (maybe here) of a Seneca or some twin which departed Jersey and upon landing (at an all-hard destination) found both props damaged. Their only conclusion was that they got it during taxi at Jersey.

This – poor parking – is such a huge issue in GA, not just in the UK but everywhere (remember Calvi?) that I find it incredible how so many people put up with it, but evidently the majority do, so it carries on. I guess that not enough people feel a sufficient “investment” in their aircraft… or maybe most just don’t know? When I got my plane, brand new in 2002, I got a prop strike within the first hour, with an instructor on board too. I had no idea about this stuff.

Administrator

What’s the current GAR restrictions on Jersey? Do they still require handwritten signatures on forms, 24 hours in advance, or do they accept OnlineGAR?

Andreas IOM

The CI require a Gendec, either upon arrival or – if you want to save time – in the case of Jersey, you can send it online (but not through onlinegar.com) beforehand. See here

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have always emailed a copy of the UK GAR to the CI airport in question but on this occassion they refused to process it, having printed it out… I had to type most of it into a PC provided for that purpose. I did look for a form as posted above by Bosco but could not find it.

Administrator

Thanks for the great info !

And very timely – will be there from 21st, weather permitting (but looks good).
I will stay at the club and for 13 BP incl a week parking, I will happily push/pull Trini around ;-)

GenDec will be filled and submitted…

EDM_, Germany

A video of this VFR flight Shoreham EGKA to Jersey EGJJ

I edited it to leave the ATC interaction, for educational purposes

Administrator

Peter wrote:

A video of this VFR flight Shoreham EGKA to Jersey EGJJ

Many thanks for this nice video. I did fly to Jersey three times and had never the peace to look around while approaching the runway.

Berlin, Germany
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message