Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A Pilatus lost a wing

I can imagine a possible scenario

I probably imagine the same one. Of course right now it is pure speculation based on a very limited knowledge of what happened. My original question was about any reason (wheather, airspace, etc...) which could have explained that the aircraft was so low after 10mn. If there is no such explanation, it's probably better to wait and see what the investigators say in the future.

SE France

There appear to be reports of two areas: the wing came off ~ FL100, and that these planes have a tendency to be operated in operations where they get "maintained" right down to the limit and stressed right up to the limit.

With some ops doing 4 drops per hour the commercial pressure must be significant.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

... the wing came off ~ FL100

If this is true, why didn't the jumpers get out?

EDDS - Stuttgart

I can imagine that might not have been easy. Hang-glider pilots who lose wings often tend not to be able to throw their emergency chutes and have been known to lose consciousness due to the G-forces.

I probably imagine the same one.

And what would that be? Care to enlighten us?

If this is true, why didn't the jumpers get out?

On the 'other' forum, someone mentioned that the ascent in these a/c is flown with the door closed. If they really lost a wing at FL100, I can imagine that opening that door and bailing out of a wildly spinning a/c might be almost impossible.

If it had been possible, they would have gotten out. Very simple ...

If it had been possible, they would have gotten out. Very simple ...

Sure. But the question remains: Why was it not possible to get out. There have been quite a few crashes of parachute dropping aircraft where at least some jumpers managed to get out (I remember one involving famous German parachutist/parlamentarian Eberhard Gienger). And numerous crewmembers managed to bail out from spinning aeroplanes of all sorts, from aerobatic single seater to flying fortress.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Media reports that an eyewitness stepped forward who claims he saw the left wing hit the ground on the previous landing.

(Dutch)

Damn! If that is really true and coast 11 people their lives it could make one really angry ... (but i don't understand dutch)

There have been quite a few crashes of parachute dropping aircraft where at least some jumpers managed to get out

Well, probably in this case the g-forces were simply too high. Maybe it depends on how much of one wing is left ... by intuition i would say that if a LONG part of the wing is missing the spin will be too aggressive and fast ...

Sign in to add your message