Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acceptance of electronic logbooks (or simple Excel files) in different countries

I use Logbook.aero both on my PC and mobile – it also syncs to Dropbox and organise GPS tracks and photos per flight. Using a tablet an instructor can also sign off entries.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Using a tablet an instructor can also sign off entries

How does that work?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Who is behind Logbook.aero? It looks very nice. I started using LogTen Pro several years ago but I am sick of it. It’s an app and restricted to iOS devices for no reason. Also they charge a lot of money for it. Doing it as a web page is much better and Logbook.aero offers (even automated) CSV export so I am protected in case the site/maintainer disappears.

Anyone knows the background of this and has some first hand experience?

Some years ago i developed an iOS app called “i-Flyte TC”. Actually I had the idea and have developed the concept and the design and the owner of Air Nav Pro programmed it. A short time later I sold it to him, and unfortunately he never updated it. I guess it’s pretty dead by now. The feature I liked best about it was that it automatically recognized and entered
- block time and flight time
- airports of departure and arrival.
- date

It was easy to do and except for some bugs it worked pretty well. At the moment i am thinking about doing another one of those with my new partners … I personally would only use an electronic logbook that is a app and could be used on the smartphone.

PS: an Exel sheet that’s stored in the Dropbox is cheaper than L 30 / year, no?

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 08 Feb 09:40

I am impressed. I use Safelog but still haven’t had the energy to put my old entries in.

EGTK Oxford

I personally would only use an electronic logbook that is a app and could be used on the smartphone.

I don’t know about your smartphone but mine can actually display web pages. With a well constructed web page, there is no usability difference and in case of a log book, I am more than OK requiring an online connection to access it. This whole syncing business is kind of stupid and I want to use my PC to edit it in addition to whatever mobile device so a cloud based solution with a mobile device optimized web site seems to be ideal.

an Exel sheet that’s stored in the Dropbox is cheaper than L 30 / year, no?

Until DB kill your account because you put a 200MB file on it and sent the URL to 10 others (happened to me, and I was way below any unreasonable usage level). Maybe your paid-for DB account is more tolerant, but to me DB seems a highly elegant platform which is wonderful for casual use (e.g. sharing photos which most people won’t download anyway) but will let you down when you really need it. Same IMHO with Onedrive, Googledrive, etc – they must all run similar “anti abuse” policies, especially now that so many people in large cities are on 20mbit/sec UP and 100mb/sec DOWN links.

DB also change their API from time to time, so any app has to be updated and if the developer is no longer around then… Nokia phones cannot use DB anymore, for example (actually they can – CuteBox continues to work – if you never change your login credentials; the API change was around the login stuff).

- block time and flight time
- airports of departure and arrival.
- date

FWIW, some handhelds store this. My Garmin 496 holds a massive log, year or two back, with this info. It obviously connects the GPS coordinates where your GS reaches and departs near-zero with its airport database, etc. You can download it, etc.

I agree with Achim – a website is much better. But I would still be concerned about long-term. So much stuff in IT is so transient… people get bored and move on, etc. The chances of any developer still being around after a few years is very low, unless he is making loads of $$$$, which he will never be with an electronic logbook because the alternative is, ahem, a piece of paper and 100% free

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I still have a pepper logbook for now, but I know several others who use an Excel based log on their own computers. That totally removes the worry about these “cloud based” systems or web sites just disappearing with all your information. Backup to multiple locations is easy.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I still have a pepper logbook for now

Looks like your flights are quite hot, then

LSZK, Switzerland

I have a 1 TB Dropbox account for 3 years and it works perfectly, for all business and flying related matters. Never had any problems with it.

Of course if the website is optimized for mobile devices and data entry is easy i agree. But i do not understand why i should enter dates, times or even airports. My app was a bit buggy in some respect, but that part worked very well. 0 knots: acft is standing … + knots block time … + 30 knots = take off… etc.

Sign in to add your message