Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B on Becker BXP 6401

I have a Becker BXP 6401 transponder in my Jodel.

I have noticed that I’m not visible on Flightaware and similar sites. It seems the reason is that the transponder is not sending an ADS-B signal, because I don’t have a GPS connected to it.

Could you please recommend an affordable GPS for this purpose? My aircraft is non-certified, so the GPS doesn’t have to be I reckon.

Would installing a (Power-) FLARM work with the transponder. Then I’d also have an ADS-B input, not just out…

Thanks,

Michael

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

I spoke with the very responsive and helpful Becker support in Germany today, and got the following information:

• If serial number is below 2000, then a hardware upgrade is necessary (including a board change) to support ADS-B out. This can be done at Becker for currently EUR 819.
  • If serial number is above 2000, then any GPS can be attached (via 25-pole plug) which can emit NMEA at 4800 baud. I have a document which specifies the technical details.

I was also told the ADS-B on this transponder is “not certified”, in principle any (non-certified) GPS will do. So this seems to imply SIL=0, right?

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Probably

Unless they detect the GPS grade and adjust the SIL flag accordingly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Zorg wrote:

I have noticed that I’m not visible on Flightaware and similar sites
You only need mode S for that.
ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

You only need mode S for that.

But you rely on MLAT and so need to fly high enough to be picked up by enough receiving station. As the OP is in a montainous area that might be the problem.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message