Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 400 TTx deliveries started (and production ends)

Textron ends TTx production. Very sad, but it was always an odd duck in the Cessna lineup. Lack of parachute didn’t help. Seemed like a great performer – better than the Cirrus.

Textron ends TTx production

I did wonder what the sales were recently…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s sad to hear. The TTx was quite high on my list of airplanes I can never afford :-(

EBST, Belgium

Don’t understand why Cessna just didn’t beef up the inner structure a bit and made the TTx pressurized and added a chute. It would have been the only 4-place certified pressurized tourer. Couldn’t have cost that much to do. Instead they went head on with Cirrus in an almost identical airframe – and lost.

Maybe they wanted to appeal to those pilots who would never buy a plane with a chute It is after all a topic which generates more GB of religious forum bandwidth than anything else.

I suspect pressurisation is a lot harder to do as a “retrofit”. The pressurised Lancair Evolution came to an end recently, reportedly with a front window departing one aircraft in flight being one of the nails in the coffin. The build quality of the Cessna 400 (I flew in one) was the best I have seen on any piston aircraft however.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

appeal to those pilots who never buy a plane with a chute

Which, in this segment, are very clearly outnumbered by those who do by about 9:1 (SR22 vs TTX sales in 2016), or 4:1 if you only count turbo versions.

Biggin Hill

The ‘funny’ thing is that Cessna already had a great pressurized tourer – the P210. A friend of mine has one and it’s a delight to fly and travel in. But they killed that one off years ago….

As for chute – seriously, I don’t think you can sell any new SEP without one anymore.

I suppose that she had no shute was her undoing. She was much more advanced in many regards than the Cirrus line up.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

The build quality of the Cessna 400 (I flew in one) was the best I have seen on any piston aircraft however.

What year model was it ?

The best were those built in Lancair’s original factory in Bend Orgeon.

Indeed, the build quality on the Lancair Columbia / TTx is the best there is in SEPs.

Ask me how I know !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

This one

It is obvious that once the family discovered that there is a plane with a chute, and given the GA pilot demographic and diet and the incidence of coronary heart disease etc etc, one could not even give a plane away (at this price and mission profile level) unless it had a chute.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message