Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheap airplanes to buy, own and fly thread

Looks like the warrior has been sold already (or advert taken down at least). Must have been a bargain!

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

That is why I am continually localising planecheck ads using this but sometimes I miss one

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There’s no free lunch and always a reason why something is a bargain, or better said why it isn’t, and it’s fair value after all.

The isolated bloke without any price intel that has lost his medical and needs money and just wants to be done with it doesn’t exist (anymore).

Every plane owner can spend 5 minutes on planecheck and get a feeling for the market and prices.

Ok, most of the planes are overpriced due to the weird negotiation culture, but one quickly builds intuition to factor that in.

Some outliers set absurd „emotional“ prices, and these planes are available for years and years. Again, intuitively one can quickly set these offers aside.

Last weekend a Reims 172 was offered with only 2000TT for €39.9k which is about 20k less than comparable offers. It needed a new cylinder.

The above discussed Warrior had an engine within calendar and TBO, an autopilot and a GPS. Not sure about the prop.

It seems 50 year old planes go somewhere between 30-40k €.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

There’s no free lunch and always a reason why something is a bargain, or better said why it isn’t, and it’s fair value after all.

Totally agree. The issue is that a lot of buyers who are new to the market simply have little idea of what lies ahead in the world of aircraft ownership. The old adage of you can buy it, but can you afford to run it holds so very true in aviation. Even a decent pre buy, most carried out are not, will not protect you from a horror story. Trust is major in any sales game. Any buyer needs to get down and understand the game, the history, the current status of the aircraft they are looking to buy.

1. How much are the annuals each year, including all rectification works.
2. Are ALL AD/SB up to date?
3. Any rumours about up and coming AD issues
4. Actual running costs.
5. Importantly where will you keep the aeroplane?
6. How has the previous owner dealt with maintenance ongoing.
6. Engine

I always lead by spending money on the safety critical items, before avionica gizmos, interior upgrades etc. These are engine and airframe. A new paint job is 20k and could be done anytime. In looking for a bargain to purchase these are the points I would consider.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 30 Sep 08:12
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

We’ve just sold our Jodel DR1050. Group of 6, grounded for 2 years 5 months due to wing repair. In that time, one died, one moved away, two became ill. I was the only one who flew her after October 2019. We dropped the price to £13k, and got immediate interest. We’ve a 50% deposit now, rest on collection. Selling made economic sense.
And I covet the hangar spot for my Bolkow
We sold because no way could we get 4 new members.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Doens’t affect the Warrior II, indeed. The older Warriors (-151) are affected.

Anyone in the know as to the reason for which particular model is AD affected? Is the wing construction so different among the Warrior II?

always learning
LO__, Austria

@beechbaby excellent points raised, thanks

Regarding trust, many planes change hands locally and are bought by someone „close and in the know“ right away without ever being listed on the internet.

always learning
LO__, Austria

While not “cheap“ to operate, this looks very much like a good deal, despite the VAT on top: TB20

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

above local copy

I am not so sure that a 31 year old TB20 is going to be cheap to run. Very much depends on how it’s been looked after. A search also suggests that people are asking way above what they go for – probably 1.3 to 1.5x above. There has always been an uplift in advertised prices but the TB prices are sometimes crazy.

Only one of those is a GT and the price on that one is bonkers. A few years ago a 2002 GT actually sold for under 130k…

A 1982 TB20 would normally sell for 50k max.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Exactly. That‘s why I think a 1989 with decent avionics and low time at 89k might be a very good deal in the middle of these extremes. Of course it all depends on the actual condition of the airframe and engine, but that goes without saying.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message