Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elixir - new aircraft with a chute - now CS23 certified for VFR

Just checked the article again

Down payment isn’t mentioned (I think it was in a previous article or news item but can’t find it)

IFR ‘in progress’, along with night VFR and the 140hp Rotax

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The maintenance regime is very interesting, approximates to €40 an hour.
I think it seems a pretty good prospect for IR training and as an owner for travelling as a couple.
The only thing is, the 915 version might be a better bet and we don’t yet know the cost of the IFR with that engine.
And you might also have to ask whether a used DA40 with diesel engine might be cheaper and perhaps a better buy for a club , especially as to get the most cost effective and efficient use of the Rotax engine would need mogas and there are not too many mogas pumps at IFR airports.
But I do hope the Elixir succeeds it would be for me a tempting alternative to a twin.
I am biased I live not far from where it is manufactured and know several people who work on it.

France

Any real news in the meantime? Their youtube channel is an absolute joke….

How many have been delivered?
What are realistic end prices?
Realistic empty weights?
Real world pireps?
IFR certification?
10000 feet restriction removed?
Alternative engines to the 912?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

They are about to deliver the 10th, and are showcasing at Airventure for their first time at the moment.
Check https://www.aerobuzz.fr/industrie/video-elixir-aircraft-prepare-le-terrain-a-oshkosh/

LFOU, France

According to local press releases they have 30 ordered. The IFR version is being offered with a choice of the Rotax 912 or the 915iS. They are also parr of a consortium with Dassault and some others to develop a hydrogen fuelled version.
Costs keep changing and I haven’t seen the latest update.

France

gallois wrote:

The IFR version is being offered with a choice of the Rotax 912 or the 915iS

You mean on on DGAC IFR permit? I have not seen IFR in EASA/CAA TCDS as of Mar20/Jul22 (it’s not NVFR yet )

https://www.easa.europa.eu/downloads/111973/en

https://www.caa.co.uk/Documents/Download/3934/ca692457-336e-4190-840e-cd26cf498935/2472

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Jul 17:01
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

As I wrote I have only read this in the local newspapers and I can not testify to the veracity of the reports.

France

It’s a very interesting aircraft but as I understand French regulations the 915 version of it cannot be registered in France since it is too powerful for a ULM (>100 hp) but not certified as a full-blown airplane. Anyone know more?

LFMD, France

As I wrote I have only read this in the local newspapers and I can not testify to the veracity of the reports

I did read the same in AeroVFR, my impression that refers to PPL training EX19 module “Basic Instrument Flying” (“vol sans visibilité” VSV), I am not aware of that many two seaters IFR? I have flown C152 & LibertyXL IFR in UK, for these getting navigator & autopilot in TC/STC was a real challenge, both were based in Biggin Hill and used for IMCR training but they were not fit for ATO CBIR training

If Elixir, can come up with something IFR for ATO CBIR training that would be something interesting? for real life flying in IMC, on such light wing load without autopilot one is better served by flying IFR in gliders

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Jul 19:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@johnh the Elixir is not a ULM it is EASA certified CS23. IMO there will be a certified Night VFR and IFR versions soon, if they are not already certified as such. The 915 iS version has I believe been tested and gives (marketing speak on their blog) 170knts TAS at 8000ft.
The problem for me will be how its purchase price will stand up against its competition such as the Robin401 with glass cockpit or a second hand Mooney, Cessna, Piper with modern avionics fit. Returning to marketing speak, however, the claimed €40 an hour (including fuel IIUC) running costs and its leasing type option is proving of interest within clubs.
Having seen and sat in but never flown the VFR version there are things I like and things I don’t. I am waiting to see how, particularly the IFR version, and its cost developes.

Last Edited by gallois at 30 Jul 06:39
France
Sign in to add your message